1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Swarm of angry hornets attacking Louisiana exterminator

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by agrostis, Nov 23, 2017.

1. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

2. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

Well that was crazy.

3. agrostis

agrostis LawnSite Silver Member

How do you like the sound of those yellow jackets hitting the microphone?

greennola likes this.
  4. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

That's crazy. I'd done that a lot different than he did. By adgetating them the way he did he put everyone close to there in jeopardy of getting stung. I'd have gone in there late in the evening or even after dark useing permithrien for a rapid kill with my unit on my truck using the drench method.My second metod would be drione dust. But highly doubtful it would be as successful as the drench method.

greennola and Ghopper3345 like this.
  5. 44DCNF

44DCNF LawnSite Bronze Member

6. springfield_pest

springfield_pest LawnSite Member

I would have definitely not opened it up until I treated with something probably exciter in a gas yard rig with jd9 on pin stream would be my first choice. Drenching does not work as good as penetrating in my experience but definitely not the rip apart method.

RDALawns likes this.
  7. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

Foam works good to. Watched a video of a fire department taking a big swarm of what they believed to be Africanized bees out with foam. Turned out to be native bees .

8. springfield_pest

Never thought about foam. I don't do enough to buy a foam generator, but that would fill up a nest to get all the hornets in the layers. I guess for paper nests I will stick with wasp freeze and a yard rig. Yellow jackets in the ground a bulb duster and either 7dust or delta dust.

9. RDALawns

Male, from Texas

For eves of houses I used dust. I had a piece of Copper tubing that I could stand on the ground and reach the nest. Useing my bulb duster without being on a ladder. If I didn't want to streach 200' of house out. We used drione most sometimes Delta dust. Wasp freeze works great to..In attics I've used fogger before. There was to many nest to safely take care of. Truck unit on hornets way up in a tree and for yellow jackets. The nest in the video is the biggest I've seen before. Many options for taking care of the situation. I definitely would not have done it the way he did. I'd been doing that after the sun set for starters.

greennola likes this.
  10. springfield_pest

Try seven dust for yellow jackets in the ground. Literally 10 seconds and I am done. Watch them to see the direction they are flying in and out. 9/10 it will be one direction usually a 90* area i.e. 1-3 o'clock. Walk up slowly using 18" extension on duster put it in the hole squeeze 4-5 times step back watch white bees come out go collect money. I usually wait a few and watch. Make the customer feel like you earned that 100-150. If they are not home I am there less than 5 mins with paper work finished.

knox gsl and RDALawns like this.