1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Sweegums in small planters

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by maxwilbryan, Sep 9, 2009.

1. maxwilbryan

maxwilbryan LawnSite Member

I Installed a few 2" Slender Shiloette sweetgums at a clients house. They were in plantersraised about 3ft tall. There is maybe 3ft from front of planter to house. He had an architect design it. I tried to talk him out of it. I was worried they would bust the block planters in time. Now I'm thinking they will probably just die in the winter bc of no insulation. Talk to me people. I may just have him check this thread. Zone 6b 7a
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. Tyler7692

Tyler7692 LawnSite Bronze Member

They need to be in the ground. Period.

3. JNyz

JNyz LawnSite Bronze Member

If they don't make it just blame the architect. I have this issue all the time with architects not putting in deer resistant material after the client and I specify it must be deer resistant. Three weeks later I call and say it is time to buck up. They are actually 1 step below the landscaper on the evolution chart.

4. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Most likely they won't die from winter kill as they are hardy to zone 5, but very likely they will destroy the raised planter beds over time with a very strong, and extensive root system. The idea is interesting, two columnar trees, likely flanking the front door and will probably last 10-15 years. They would be better off in the ground or a very larke rasied planter as they can reach a height of 40', and without a strong root system can topple over, maybe into the home.

Kirk

5. maxwilbryan

Posted via Mobile Device

6. maxwilbryan

I will send some pix when I get to pc.
    Posted via Mobile Device