1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Sweet gums balls take over yard...

Discussion in 'Bidding, Estimating and Pricing' started by Wink'sLawnManag., Mar 7, 2020.

1. Wink'sLawnManag.

Wink'sLawnManag. LawnSite Member

Anyone ever showed up to a lawn and it just be covered in sweet gum seed pods or any other type of big pods for that matter. I usually say screw it and let the mower get to work but in this case the yard was taken over by them and would be like running the mower through a ball bearing factory . Any experiences on how to charge for picking up ( what I ended up doing) or how to deal with this scenario in the future? Pic added to show these bastards, have one in my yard too in I GA but keep up with pods as they drop.

IMG_20200307_151726_01.jpg

2. No gloves

No gloves LawnSite Senior Member

Remember using a leaf vaccum over a yard with those and it did terrible. Wonder if those fruit/nut/golf tennis ball rollers would work?

Cam15 and Wink'sLawnManag. like this.
  3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Are these one time cuts or new clients?

"I can't mow the yard until it's cleaned up. I can do it for $$$."

"Mowing is cutting grass. The grass can't be cut with a mower until the seed pods are removed."

"Have a nice day sir, I don't believe I can help you."

Wink'sLawnManag. likes this.
  4. dKoester

dKoester LawnSite Gold Member

Depending on the size of the yard how long will it take to get them up? Use a high powered backpack blower. If its a one time cut. They need to be picked up and that needs to be charged for. If its a new client that wants to be on regular service, I wouldn't let an hour's worth of work hold up a season of pay. I hope this isn't a giant lawn for you.

5. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Wink'sLawnManag. likes this.
  6. MowDaddy

MowDaddy LawnSite Fanatic

We don't have them critters up in MN,
    But can you bag the first mowing and get most of them up?
    Otherwise I'd do as Dekoster said and us backpack and corral them in 1 area and scoop them up.

1620cwj and Cam15 like this.
  7. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

Never tried bagging but the issue is when you run over them they push them into the ground....I only have one lawn with them and before mowing I'll blow them into the woods, then mow to avoid mushing them into the ground, that is when it's a real PITA.

Cam15, Wink'sLawnManag. and hort101 like this.
  8. hal

hal LawnSite Gold Member
    from Georgia

Most problems I have is them getting in the belts/pulleys, we just blow them off.

sehitchman and Cam15 like this.
  9. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

Blow them onto to a tarp. Of course, you would have to stake-down the tarp to prevent it from blowing away. Drag it to your trailer.

Somebody should invent a screen wire or metal mesh cage where you could blow the burrs or nuts into the cage--while the air would blow through. Chicken wire--maybe. Then it would be on smooth skis or small wheels--so it would be easy to pull it to your trailer. And dump.
    Might work for leaves, too.
    And walnuts.

Cam15 and Wink'sLawnManag. like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    Wink'sLawnManag.

Wink'sLawnManag. LawnSite Member

I think your on to some type of invention here!!! Great advice guys and really appreciate all the great responses.
    If grass is short blower does quite well but anything over 4 to 5" and hand picking is only way I found that works. Thanks everybody