Swisstone Pine disease

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Anyone know what might be hitting this Swisstone pine? I dont see mites, etc. Tree is roughly 40 years old.

IMG_20200620_135148157.jpg

IMG_20200620_135210740.jpg

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I did look at the trunk closely. I could not find anything resembling cankers, or matching those on a few forestry websites I looked at. I did see a fair number of circular holes on the trunk. I tried to peel away the bark to check for tunneling, but its almost impossible with that chunky, flaky bark. Maybe the holes just woodpeckers?

Trees Too

LawnSite Fanatic
I did look at the trunk closely. I could not find anything resembling cankers, or matching those on a few forestry websites I looked at. I did see a fair number of circular holes on the trunk. I tried to peel away the bark to check for tunneling, but its almost impossible with that chunky, flaky bark. Maybe the holes just woodpeckers?
Or sapsuckers...

@hort101 @Wye Oak Tree Any thoughts/insight on this pic?

hort101

LawnSite Fanatic
Or sapsuckers...

@hort101 @Wye Oak Tree Any thoughts/insight on this pic?
Id look for sooty mold as possible indication of micro insects mites cant always be seen with naked eye a paper test helps with some

Are the needles speckled

Is all growth affected or just certain limbs?

Look for pitch maybe gum or the cankers like you said

Whats the weather been like?

might help towards fungus or drought stress

BrandonV

LawnSite Fanatic
I’m it super familiar with these pines but how the weather been? A bunch of ours are dieing due to the crazy wet weather we’ve been having... especially white pines.

OP
DA Quality Lawn & YS

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
That tree is at my folks home in northern Iowa. I'd say the last few years have trended toward the wet side. But as old as that tree is, I'd say its hard pressed to be simply wet soil.