Switchblade mower blades

ggb6259

LawnSite Senior Member
Saw this on interweb.... Interesting but hate to have one come off while mowing. Still have to take the blade off the spindle as well...

https://switchbladellc.com/

Wobbles

LawnSite Member
Agreed.
pitty help if the pin gets dislodged and that replaceable blade goes flying. Who would even want this? it's not hard to change a blade to begin with. This just makes things more complicated and likely more expensive to boot.

rlitman

LawnSite Silver Member
Agreed.
pitty help if the pin gets dislodged and that replaceable blade goes flying. Who would even want this? it's not hard to change a blade to begin with. This just makes things more complicated and likely more expensive to boot.
The engineering is interesting. It looks to me like the slide plates slide out, so they'd be held in place by centrifugal force if the pin were dislodged. What I'm wondering is how you get at the pin, when it's ABOVE the blade. The video shows it off the spindle, but this doesn't look all that simple when actually installed.

How does this work when caked with debris? How do you balance it? How is it faster than an impact and sticking another blade on?
Debris, nah, mowers never get caked with debris.
Balance, who needs that? Well, actually, I'm on their side with this. Imbalance will come from the blade tips, so you probably don't need to rebalance, so long as you don't sharpen these. Then again, that's going to get expensive fast.
Faster than an impact. No way. But this is for people who don't have a cordless impact. Yeah, "first world problems".

hal

LawnSite Fanatic
First time you hit a rock or stump something is going to give....

zlandman

LawnSite Bronze Member
I read the webpage:

"Most yards, large or small, require the use of a lawnmower especially if there’s any grass that needs to be maintained. "

Haha, maybe they're on to something here! Seriously though seems like a solution looking for a problem.