Switching to Organic lawn care

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by kingfisher, Mar 8, 2017.

1. kingfisher

kingfisher LawnSite Member

My Bermuda Lawn is 4 years old and have been using Lesco products till now. I am thinking of moving to Organic care. My lawn doesn't look healthy plus weeds all the time. I have used Celcius WG for weeds control. And it is not helping me either. Recently I have heard about sumagreen turf product from one of the local vendor. He recommended me to use that for lushy green lawn. Can I use tenacity for weeds? I have creeping charlie plus other weeds invaded in my lawn? Any other weed killer you can suggest when using with Sumagreen?

2. Green-Man

Green-Man LawnSite Bronze Member

Moving over to a fully organic lawn care is a little easier said than done. First you should get a ph meter and figure out if your soil is acidic or more alkaline. Second you will want a soil test to see how many micro organisms are living in your soil. Weeds are a symptom and not a problem. Do you water too much? Or is your ground too compact? Cultural practices take a big roll in Turf and soil health.

On a call likes this.
  3. On a call

On a call LawnSite Gold Member

Exactly Mr Green find out what is going on before you do anything. Take your samples properly too, many do it wrong. If you have a probe us it.

Testing is not too expensive either for the benefits you achieve.

4. RigglePLC

RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic

No Bermuda around here. Local advice from experienced people is better.
    Is this common Bermuda? Seeded Bermuda? Tifton? The premium-quality sod types are thicker and tighter--fewer weed problems. Make sure you are taking proper care of your Bermuda. Short mowing--reel mower. Regular irrigation. Have a soil test done--correct deficiencies and any acid soil. Plenty of fertilizer to keep it tight and vigorous. Sumagreen should work fine--but Bermuda needs plenty of fertilizer, six times per year is often suggested. Milorganite or a poultry manure product would supply more of the needed nitrogen and calcium. It cannot grow thick without nitrogen.

Compare with Holganix:
    http://www.holganix.com/blog/bid/66092/The-Science-Behind-Holganix-Holganix-vs-SumaGreen

Last edited: Mar 20, 2017
    Wye Oak Tree likes this.
  5. Dean Smith

Dean Smith LawnSite Member

Hey you guys I'm Tim knowing your soil food web condition is key, check out people's choice organics, I've found this guy very helpful, the results have been awesome

6. Brules

Brules LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Oklahoma

I am switching my personal yard to organic fert this year. Just put down 12 bags of Milorganite, will re apply in July. Will see how it does vs std fert.

7. Dean Smith

I've been looking at peoples choice organic turf care program I've seen his customers yards and I'm impress

8. On a call

I prefer Michiganite over Milorganite :)

9. Dean Smith

Lol yep I heard it was from Michigan..... I was wonder how much bull was up there. Must be good stuff, check out mighty grow, its a bunch of chicken ....

10. On a call

Chicken is not only for dinner anymore.

Beside I keep seeing signs...EAT MORE CHICKEN, MAKE MORE POO.

Dean Smith likes this.