Swivel for spray gun??

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by rmmllc, Apr 18, 2008.

  1. rmmllc

    rmmllc LawnSite Member
    Messages: 222

    I have been spraying now for 2 weeks- thanks to all of you for your previous advice and support. I have a problem when winding the hose back on the reel- it is sometimes twisted. Do any of you have some sort of swivel between your spray gun and the hose? It seems that would solve the problem.

    Also, my "chemlawn" gun leaks a bit even when the trigger is not depressed. Is that normal, or is it defective (not a steady stream, just a trickle here and there as I move it, like when winding the hose).
  2. RigglePLC

    RigglePLC LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 13,667

    You should rebuild that gun every year or at least every 20,000 gallons used. It may need a new dimple, and it will usually need new o-rings. Clean it fully and add plenty of grease for smooth like-new action. Rebuild kit is about $18 at Lesco/jdl. You may need a new valve seat-but that part is almost impossible to remove the old one.

    You don't need a swivel. Just keep looking behind you and turn left for each right turn and the hose will not twist. Keep the hose lying flat with no kinks as you work, and there will be no kinks as you wind it up--at least in theory.
  3. garydale

    garydale LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 813

    I'm with RigglePLC on this one. rebuild gun and you will learn how to turn to minimize hose kinking.
    I've use quick connect fittings in past to act like a swivel at the gun but, it makes the gun handle seem longer an unconfortable.
  4. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    Quick connect couplings also work as hose swivels. I change guns or wands easily because of the quick connects. I agree a swivel of some kind is nice. Sometimes just a 1/4 turn makes things easy.
  5. rmmllc

    rmmllc LawnSite Member
    Messages: 222

    I bought the gun new 2 weeks ago, maybe I'll have Lesco take a look, but if they won't do anything I'll have to rebuild it.
    If I were to try a quick connect where do you get them? Watching your turns makes total sense too, just takes time to get it all together to spray like a pro. Thanks guys-
  6. mngrassguy

    mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,167

    Check your spray pressure. A new gun shouldn't need a rebuild but will leak when there is too much pressure

    Stop spraying in circles. I've been doing this for 20 years and I still do it on occasion.lol
  7. vegomatic40

    vegomatic40 LawnSite Senior Member
    from 6
    Messages: 406

    Open up your gun by removing the 4 small screws holding the cover in place. Make sure that the valve (looks a little like a space capsule) is held firmly against the valve-seat. This a small, plastic piece that is inserted into the body of the gun in the valve guide. Also check that the return spring is working correctly with adequate tension to keep the valve closed when not in use. On a rare occasion, I've seen those guns leak when too little pressure is used. I'm not going to pretend to understand the physics behind it,only that I've seen it happen. Using Iron Chelates, Sulfates etc can also make your valve-life considerably shorter than normal. The abrasive qualities can quickly damage the valve requiring rebuilding of your gun.
  8. LawnTamer

    LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,986

    Ric, where do you get your quick connects. I got some at Home Depot and Lowes, they work fine initially, but something about the constant back and forth motion of the gun causes them to wear and start leaking after about a week or 2. I have wondered if there isn't some place that sells industrial quality connections.
  9. Ric

    Ric LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 11,969


    I use Pressure washer Quick Connects, they are rated for over 3000 psi working pressure. Like anything they do wear out and start to leak after several years. They come in 3 sizes to my Knowledge. 1/2, 3/8 & 1/4.

    On my bigger sprayers I use 1/2 quick connectors only because I used to run 1/2 hose. I could use 3/8 because I only have one 1/2 hose reel left. I also use JG gun, a Green gun and wands that can be quick snapped on the hose. On smaller 12V sprayers I use all 1/4 quick connects. BTW I also use Pressure washer Guns and small pressure washer Tips on 12V sprayers. I like them for spraying ponds from my boat. I use a 25 degree tip most of the time and switch to a zero tip for reaching those weeds I can't get close too. Because of the quick connect I can quickly switch to a Back Pack type wand.

    Places to buy Pressure washer Quick connects. Northern Tool has the largest selection I have found. You can order off line if you don't have a store near you. Most commercial Paint stores sell Pressure washer and have parts. But look under pressure washers in you phone book.
  10. LawnTamer

    LawnTamer LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,986

    Thanks, great idea on the pressure washer gun too.

Share This Page