• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

T-Zone for Nutsedge

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
I tested T-Zone for use on some nutsedge that appeared on my neighbor's lot.
Here is the picture.
I appears to be working effectively.
This, in spite of the solution being several months old.

I also tested several herbicides against mature spotted spurge. Speedzone was slightly better than T-Zone,and Trimec.
However, no product seemed to kill spurge completely. In any case, it is old and mature--and spurge will be reduced by cold very soon, and killed by frost in about 4 weeks.

Attachments

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
The combination of 24D and Sulfentrazone will effect top kill of Nutsedge. No doubt about it.

greendoctor

LawnSite Fanatic
That looks ideal for isolated patches of sedge. Right now, I am mixing up 1 quart mixes if less than 1000 sq ft needs to be sprayed.

OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
At what temperature does nutsedge disappear? Or fail to come back after normal mowing?
Is air temp or soil temp more important?

OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Nutsedge is still visible here in Michigan. Not sure, I think it is growing back after mowing, but more slowly.
Here is the nutsedge near the fire hydrant--for the last 3 weeks. Second picture, left, is today, Sept 24th.
Here is soil temp and weather data from a station about 10 miles away.

And the Syngenta data--slightly different soil temp. 5 day average soil temp 61.6.

Attachments

Last edited:
OP
RigglePLC

RigglePLC

LawnSite Fanatic
Here is the same nutsedge near the sidewalk and fire hydrant, on today October 12, 2020. No hard frost yet. Lowest temp at a weather station about 10 miles away was about 31.8 F so far. Sedge is still healthy, but probably growing slowly. Maybe this would not appear above the grass in a dense lawn.

Attachments

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
Vexis does work nicely. Must water in well quickly though, or time with some rain.