Table saw or chop saw for first buy?

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Mitty87, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Mitty87

Mitty87 LawnSite Bronze Member

So we ended up doing a couple small patios this year after doing a ton of research on here and deciding to venture into it. I enjoyed building them and am driven to become great at it. I ended up renting a chop saw about a dozen times at around $100 a pop. My cutting skills aren't great and was considering a table saw to hopefully be able to make better cuts. I think the stihl 420 or i500 are in the $14-1600 range and the husqvarna 760 around $1700. Not sure what table saw prices are but I think a little more? Would I be better off buying a table saw or chop saw for first saw?

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  2. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Well my rule has been. If I rent it twice. The 3rd time I buy it. You rented a saw 12 times for 100$ you could have already paid for it!!! However most ppl I know building decks use table saws mitter saws and skil saws. Not chop saws.

hort101 and Mitty87 like this.
  3. Mitty87

Sorry Paver patios, not wood

4. RDALawns

RDALawns LawnSite Bronze Member
    Male, from Texas

Lol ok that changes things. You'll need a wet saw not a table saw or a chop saw. I'd likely go with the chop saw.

hort101 likes this.
  5. Mitty87

*cut off saw I mean, - sorry for the confusion. Either one would be a wet saw

I realize the cut off saw might be more versatile but remember reading a few of the guys who swear by only using a table saw. I am the type of guy that can't cut a 2x4 straight, so am really considering going the table saw route. My paver cuts are ok but I sometimes waste a few to get a cut that I am satisfied with.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2017
  6. ltdlawn

ltdlawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Come on haven't you learned here yet?
    BOTH!
    Lol

Mitty87 and RDALawns like this.
  7. Mitty87

I will have both, but probably one will have to come first until a little bit into the season. Already spent $40,000 of my first years revenue on equipment/trucks and have a small list of other things I want to buy before the year is over, plus I guess I have to buy Christmas presents too.

8. PetersPatioLandscape

PetersPatioLandscape LawnSite Member
    Male, from Kenyon, MN

I would buy a cutoff saw first. If you have to demo some stuff it can be used for that too. After more practice you will get good at making those cuts. I have been in business for 7 years and I just bought a table saw. I am very good with my cutoff saw but mitered bullnose will always look better done on a table saw. I feel like I can cut a lot faster with my cutoff saw compared to my table saw.
    Also as far as brand of cutoff saw I used to be a Husqvarna guy but now I am a Stihl fan. I used to swear off Stihl saws like the plague based on previous experiences. I bought a 500i and I absolutely love that saw. The saw shuts the water off between cuts and turns it back on when you throttle up. I have had it for a couple years and have been very impressed with it. I sold off my Husky saws and plan to pick up another 500i.

hort101, RDALawns and Mitty87 like this.
  9. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

No learning curve with a table saw. Other than to be cognizant of where your fingers are.

But a hand held saw has a huge learning curve.

If you have employees, cut through the chase. Get the table saw. Employees come and go. If you only have a hand held saw - then each time someone new is cutting - you have to go through that learning curve again.

Plus, a table saw can miter small pieces when the need arises.

10. PetersPatioLandscape

PetersPatioLandscape LawnSite Member
    Male, from Kenyon, MN

That is a good point. We are a smaller company and I do a fair amount of the cutting. My guys have been doing more of it and have been doing a good job with it though. I do think it is important to have a hand held saw for a lot of reasons. We use ours all the time when we have to demo old patios, driveways, etc. Plus if you ever have to butt up to asphalt it's the only way to get a clean edge. Don't get me wrong a table saw is a great investment but my opinion is that a hand held is more versatile plus its easier to haul around. Good luck with what you decide to do. Eventually I'm sure you will end up with at least one of each.

RDALawns likes this.