• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

Tacoma vs keep my 2500

justanotherlawnguy

LawnSite Bronze Member
your comparing apples to oranges!

if the truck is for business you simply cannot say your going to save $14k over 3 years, your looking at it all wrong. if thats your basis then your business is doomed!

OP
South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns

LawnSite Member
your comparing apples to oranges!

if the truck is for business you simply cannot say your going to save $14k over 3 years, your looking at it all wrong. if thats your basis then your business is doomed!
How do you figure? I do this part time anyways. I work for the feds full time. Saving money on my truck will not ruin my business.

Shindaiwa_operator

LawnSite Gold Member
I didn’t have time to read every post in this thread, but think of it this way. Lease vs buy- 100% of your lease payment is tax deductible unless you have some really cheesy way of figuring taxes, AND you’re always in a pickup that is 3 years old or newer. With buying and making payment with interest, ONLY the interest is a tax deduction if I understand it right. If your income can support a decent sized payment, then consider lease. Otherwise, make way smaller payments on an older used truck or pay cash. Just remember- if you’re running an older used truck, it can break down. Not saying it’s going to, but chance of breakdown on older used truck is much higher than newish lease or buy truck. My $.02

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
thank you ! Are you I longer doing lawn care? Are you at a dealership
I have worked at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership for the last 6 years. Started my lawn care last year as a side gig and will still continue it as a side gig 2 days a week. I just got a job with Snap On and will now I have my own tool truck so im excited to start that journey beginning in March. My business probably does around 20k a year which is great for me for extra money.
OH... id have had a talk with the GM on that one.
Then moved on to a different job.
Ethics is something worth taking into consideration.
Yessir it is which is why that was my last straw with this dealership. Ive been interviewing with Snap on for about 4 months and just found out i got the job and will now have my own tool truck and route. So I will be starting that in March. Just gave them my 2 week notice last week at the dealership. It was complete bullshit and I made sure the owner knew this. Hes a dick to say the least! Got what i needed for experience from this place now time to move on!

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
I have worked at a Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership for the last 6 years. Started my lawn care last year as a side gig and will still continue it as a side gig 2 days a week. I just got a job with Snap On and will now I have my own tool truck so im excited to start that journey beginning in March. My business probably does around 20k a year which is great for me for extra money.

Yessir it is which is why that was my last straw with this dealership. Ive been interviewing with Snap on for about 4 months and just found out i got the job and will now have my own tool truck and route. So I will be starting that in March. Just gave them my 2 week notice last week at the dealership. It was complete bullshit and I made sure the owner knew this. Hes a dick to say the least! Got what i needed for experience from this place now time to move on!
20k isn’t too bad for only 2 days a week

it’ll take you a while to build that snap on route
But you’ve got lawn care to help you along
Can always up it to three days a week

eventually some day You can have a few people working for you mowing and still chill out in the tool truck too

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
20k isn’t too bad for only 2 days a week

it’ll take you a while to build that snap on route
But you’ve got lawn care to help you along
Can always up it to three days a week

eventually some day You can have a few people working for you mowing and still chill out in the tool truck too
Yea would love to do that eventually. And im not becoming a franchise for snap on i got a position called Company store manager. So basically i get a route thats already developed and a truck plus all tools and expenses pad for by the company. Im paid a good salary plus I get commission on what i sell as well. Company has a pension plan and great benefits and such so im excited to see what happens.

And yea for only 2 days a week its just enough for me to make some extra cash which is nice

TPendagast

LawnSite Fanatic
Yea would love to do that eventually. And im not becoming a franchise for snap on i got a position called Company store manager. So basically i get a route thats already developed and a truck plus all tools and expenses pad for by the company. Im paid a good salary plus I get commission on what i sell as well. Company has a pension plan and great benefits and such so im excited to see what happens.

And yea for only 2 days a week its just enough for me to make some extra cash which is nice
O I c
You work for someone else who has multiple Franchise routes

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
O I c
You work for someone else who has multiple Franchise routes
I actually work for snap on corporate. Im hoping in a few years I can make enough money to buy my own franchise, its a huge investment though for sure.

TSP Lawn Care

LawnSite Member
Corporate discount on tools?

My buddy used to run a corporate route because he said he was too poor to afford buying his own.
Im sure there is some sort of an employee discount. And yea to buy a franchise your looking around $250k for a full investment. There are ways to finance things to get started but overall thats the investment you are looking at. I was going to work on the Rock 'N' Roll cab which is their exclusive toolbox truck, but then I would have been away for 2days at a time and service the whole northeast region. Being a Company store manager i get my own route and my own tool truck just like a franchise has but everything is paid for through Snap On. Plus i get full time benefits, pension plan, 401k etc.. If I do choose to move up the corp ladder theres definitly good money to be made as well.