Take All Root Rot??

Discussion in 'Fertilizers, Pesticides and Diseases' started by Fanning Landscape, Apr 18, 2017.

1. Fanning Landscape

Fanning Landscape LawnSite Member

I think I have TARR... but not sure. any thoughts? Notice the Lime Green Spots.
    Lawn 1.jpg lawn3.jpg Lawn 1.jpg Lawn 1.jpg lawn3.jpg lawn2.jpg

2. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

To me, the pictures resemble pythium. Visual symptoms only won't tell. You need to look for excessive mycelium in the soil surface areas. It will also be on any debris in the soil. Its white & a little cottoney. It should be plentiful throughout the chlorotic ( lime-green ) areas. You also need to inspect the root system for abnormalities ( trained eye ).

Could be TARR. pictures alone won't tell.
    Certain fungus develop under certain conditions leading up to the outbreak. Once you see the outbreak it likely developed 10 to 12 days prior. The mechanisms for the development happened over a couple of weeks before that.

Now's when the investigation starts...

Need to know the right problem to implement the right treatment. Fungicide is a part of the treatment. Maybe 25%. Understanding how, why & cultural is 75%.
    A fungicide is simply a tool.

hort101 and Fanning Landscape like this.
  3. Fanning Landscape

Fanning Landscape LawnSite Member

don't think it is pythium. No Mycelium growth. I have put down Bonifide systemic fungicide, Fertilome Iron Plus soil accidifier, Aerated, and top dressed with peat moss. It happend after a big 3-4 inch down pour after the soil was already saturated. And it just keeps raining! whats weird is that the lime green spots are still growing? Not sure what else to do other than hope it drys out soon. Holding out hope that its just drowning and cant get any oxygen and causing the chlorosis.

4. turfmd101

turfmd101 LawnSite Bronze Member

The current environmental conditions you described are ideal for pythium. I should clarify something. There is pythium & pythium root rot. Pythium is early staging & if conditions continue...
    Pythium root rot will develop. This advanced stage brings mycelium. Keep an eye out.

Its been a while & I don't know if something new is available but only a couple of granular fungicides can help to control pythium. Subdue or its generic & I think eagle or possibly heritage or equivalent. I'm sure if your conditions continue. Mycelium will develope.

It also looks as though you may have some spongy thatch also. I know it's wet now but when the soil was regular dry was under the turf spongy walking over it? Like walking on a dry spong. If so, you may not have enough plant to soil contact leaving your roots exposed in a thatch layer which can cause a chlorotic color. Chlorosis is the lack of many, many chlorophyll molecules compacting together. Does not effect growth.