Take job offer or go all in on lawn care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenMan3000, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Take the job or expand the business?

1. Take The Job

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Expand the business

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

I have been operating my lawn care business for a few years now. I have a steady client base and all my equipment is in good condition and paid for. I have a lot of experience with lawn maintenance, landscaping and pressure/soft washing.I currently net about 30,000 in a season with only offering landscape maintenance and lawn maintenance. I love the work and can't think of anything i'd rather do. I plan to expand a soft wash/pressure wash side of the business to increase revenue this season. I am a single father with one dependent and my health insurance costs should be around $350 per month according to healthcare.gov. I have recently been offered a job in a battery manufacturing facility with starting pay of 15.50 per hour and increases to 21.60 after 90 days, with health insurance provided by company. I would be working third shift 40-50 hours per week. Due to the materials in the facility,I would be exposed to lead and arsenic on a daily basis and would have to get blood drawn and tested on a monthly basis to assess the levels in my body. I am having trouble deciding which is the best path for me to take. My heart tells me to stay in business but my mind tells me to take the safe, secure path. My only thoughts are the health risks with the job and the fact I could be fired and lose this position any day. I love the freedom of working by myself and honestly don't fare well in large group company settings. I believe if I expand the soft wash/pressure wash side I should be able to increase revenue to 40-45000 in the first season. Let me know what you guys think is the best decision based on these factors. Thanks for your time!!!

2. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Pass on the lead and arsenic poisoning for $20/hr and keep running your biz.

3. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

If these are the only 2 choices, I vote to keep the business.

You mentioned that you currently NET $30k each season but near the bottom of your post you say that you "should be able to increase revenue to 40-45k".

If you stay in business, go ALL in on it. Get a better handle on your numbers and your costs. You're likely not netting 30k if your current revenue is less than 40k. Do you mean that your grossing 30k now? That's a different conversation.

Having a better handle on your numbers will allow you to better assess opportunities when they arise. Whether it's when to invest more time/money into the business or if you should consider other job opportunities. Without really knowing your numbers, how can you make an informed decision?

redmax fan and oqueoque like this.
  4. AlohaMowing

AlohaMowing LawnSite Senior Member

We all face health and safety risks, and there are ways to mitigate the dangers. You might check with your state occupational safety agency to see what kind of record this company has. If it provides workers with the equipment and training to function safely, the concerns regarding lead and arsenic might be put in perspective.
    Definitely a big factor. The security of working at good pay for someone else often is an illusion.
    Personal happiness and satisfaction can go far toward making up for less pay. And if you think that you may not "fare well" in this company environment, then you are back to the previous factor -- you could be fired at any time.

I suspect you already know your own answer to your question. You have our permission to do what you believe to be in your best interest.

oqueoque likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

Yes , I meant grossing 30k. Let's say 20/HR ×2000 HRs yearly= 40,000 before taxes at the manufacturing facility
    which I believe would out me in the 22% bracket. So roughly that would be 30,000 take home. In my business I have only worked around 750 HRs annually to gross 30k so that is roughly 40/Hr before taxes. I have only worked 2-3 days a week during the lawn season. I believe if I focused the time I would spend in the factory into growing the business I could nearly double or at least increase gross revenue to 45000.

oqueoque likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

Yes the facility does have safety precautions regarding the harmful compounds but upon my research once lead enters the body it never leaves and actually competes with calcium to enter into your bones in later years. My family are very employed minded and keep pushing me to take the position but I don't feel it is the best decision long term. KEEP UP THE GOOD INFORMATION AND PERSPECTIVES GUYS!! THANKS

oqueoque likes this.
  7. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

I'd pass on the job.

8. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Bronze Member

I might be the decenter here, but you do need a job, just perhaps not the one being offered.

oqueoque likes this.
  9. oqueoque

oqueoque LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Jersey

Depending on your experience & where you live you might be able to get close to $20 an hour working for another Landscape company & possibly sell your business/equipment to them for additional income, especially since you could continue to maintain the customers for the new company.

hort101 and JLSLLC like this.
  10. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

You'll come out way better than that. As head of household you won't hit the 22% bracket until you get over 50k.

Even if you did, only the amount that exceeds that will be taxed at that level. It cascades, so for anything under that limit you pay 12% until you hit the 10% bracket, and that amt is taxed at 10%.

If your gross was 40k you still have your standard 12k deduction bringing you down to 28k taxable.

10% on about 10k and 12% on the remaining 18k. A tad over 3k.

Oh but look here, a $2,000 child tax credit. Oh, and don't trip over that $2,000 EITC either. Well, it looks like you have $4,000 in credit towards your owed taxes this year!

What, you had $3,000 withheld from your wages already? There must be some mistake. Here's a check for $4,000, then we can call it even ok?

You don't pay federal taxes in the US as a single parent grossing 40k unless you file incorrectly.

*These numbers are not accurate but they are darn close. I've done the taxes for my family and friends for many years because I can't stand watching people pay hundreds of dollars to pay someone for less than an hours labor doing data entry, which is exactly what you're doing if you use a tax preparer and don't itemize!

weeze and Mark Stark like this.