Take job offer or go all in on lawn care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenMan3000, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Take the job or expand the business?

1. Take The Job

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Expand the business

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

A third shift job is also a good opportunity to build your business on the side after work.

I'm with you and most of the others though, the lead and arsenic would make me a bit wary too.

2. JLSLLC

JLSLLC LawnSite Fanatic

Nah..

weeze, Walker56 and oqueoque like this.
  3. Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC

Rockbridge Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

we'll here's and idea to test your business aplititude.

If you hired a crew leader could your business survive without you 90% percent of the time? IF SO THEN do just that and go work at this battery job..... or another job..... and bump your crew leader's pay...

IDealy you as the owner are making residual income for the business without having to have a day to day on the ground type of presence. The third shift type of job is ideal to this concept.

The on the flip side work the numbers....I dunno if your calculating using a gross or net, but work out the income before and after taxes and make a decision to "yes or no" all-in the business. Pumpkin plan your client/customers who's the least profitable? can the most profitable yard or account be replicated? Then go to marketing specifically for that customer

$350 a month sound REALLY REALLY low for adequate health insurance coverage with a dependent, or has 0% help with a prescription....I would look into that detail and what is right for your situation. There are numerous tax incentives for whatever the total cost to the business is.

they only way to break through a 30-35k is to develop an employee(s) and scale the business. Solo's tend to burn out right about $40k without a 360* business plan make over in understanding non-billable time. it really comes down to route density and profitability on a per client basis if you want to take home 40K+

Also keep in mind all the personal freedoms you have as the business owner. Most are taken for granted until you go back to the "work force"....Really think about why your in business. If your not planning to grow then take the battery job. Business has a unique desire to grown or be eaten by competition. That is just how it is in capitalism.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
  4. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Say what!? Man I think you know that answer. I left a great job in the military because of lead exposure. Do what you love and the rest will come.

Money is not everything. If you enjoy your career mowing lawns and can support your family that's the only way I'd go.

weeze, Walker56 and JLSLLC like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

In my area as a crew leader you're lucky to get 15/HR not worth it to me

6. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

7. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

Lets say I push the business to 35k gross, and net 25k? And I incur roughly 500/month health care costs.I know the numbers can get skewed because of all the write offs and deductions. What would the profit be at the end of the year? Im putting a brand new engine into my company truck, all equipment is paid in cash, I have little living expenses because I have been fortunate in many aspects of life. Thank you so much for the good information here guys

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

30k isn’t 22%
    You’re not allotting for taxable income after deductions
    Self employment tax over levels that playing field
    Health coverage is worth more than you’re allowing for

I’d take the job and lawn service part time on the side

sehitchman likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

How much would a self employed person have to gross to even out with the company position assuming 500 monthly health care costs, 10k operating expenses, 12k standard deduction, and write offs.?

10. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

So in theory the company position is worth closer to 50k including health care costs and everything that it covers?