Take job offer or go all in on lawn care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenMan3000, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Take the job or expand the business?

1. Take The Job

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Expand the business

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would find a less paying job. Having to wear a respirator all the time will not be comfortable. Looks like they will contaminate you and then punish you by firing. The hours stink. Their health Insurance stinks. Hiring 30 people can be good and it can be bad. Many may have left because of bad working conditions etc. Maybe they got a new contract. Ask too many questions and you may not get the job. Like why are you hiring so many people?
    The biggest problem with Lawn care is lack of benefits . No Health Ins, retirement plan, paid sick leave etc. So another job is a good idea imo. That is unless you can build a huge lawn care business ie over $500,000 gross annually. There are better jobs out there. You may have to relocate

Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  2. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Funny I put aside my lawn business to take a similar job. Working w chemicals at Unilever one of the countries biggest body products companies. Boss set me up to think I could advance and had a future for life. Well I found out quickly these companies are crooks and the employees fell right into the little corporate cliques & hiring based on who u know / keeping your job based on who’s ass you kiss. I was literally bullied out of my job & had one of the managers threaten me directly to get his way in a situation....I didnt bend and wow wouldn’t ya know 2 weeks later I get my pink slip. Hired a managers cousin to replace me & kid turned out to be a thief. Ntm they make record profits and at the same time cutting everyone to 38.5 hrs so no one is full time. Keeping ppl on contracts so they never advance or get raises. Etc etc.
    So in my situation I let go of lawn accounts & got behind on my existing ones so couldn’t take any new ones. I was there over 2 yrs and the whole situation gave me quite the reality check as well as set my business back :Cuz Murphy’s law it’ll be sunny and beautiful while you are working at the factory & then rain when you have a day off.

3. danothemano

danothemano LawnSite Senior Member

Screw that job, stay with the lawns!

4. danothemano

danothemano LawnSite Senior Member

Think of the children, stay away from that job, grow your business, your kids will see an entrepreneur rather than a clocking punching third shifter...if they even see you at those hours, whatever they see you do for a living, you are being a role model

Spartan57 and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

Guys I did my first shift at the factory today. Somehow we ended up getting out 2 hours early,.which never happens there apparently..i quickly realized that corporate life just isn't for me and i will not be going back monday lol **** the company and there 25 per hour i am worth so much more. You can't put a price on freedom and there is only one ******* life to live. I've always had a high tolerance for risk anyways lol Thanks for all the comments and opinions..ill keep you guys updated as i expand and kill everything in my way this year, not literally lol

6. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

I hope this thread can be an inspiration to people like me in the future..some birds just weren't meant to be caged :)

Spartan57, Charles and hort101 like this.