Take job offer or go all in on lawn care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenMan3000, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Take the job or expand the business?

1. Take The Job

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Expand the business

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

Have you had any noticeable health issues due to your past lead exposure? What precautions did you partake in to mitigate the exposure in your position? Respirator? Clothing?

2. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

The thing with getting insurance through the exchange is the less you make, the more they pay for, to a point. You still have to have an annual gross above the poverty line, which is about 17k for a family of two now.

I'm sure there are self employed people gaming the system by incorporating, giving themselves a low salary but enough to qualify, and funneling a lot of personal expenses through the business.
    Have you considered taking the plant job for just 1-2 years while you build your business after work?

Mark Stark likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

Yes I have thought about it its just the fact that a 40-50 hour work week really drains you and consumes time and energy that could be invested in the business. As it stands now if I do this Ill be working 65-70 hours per week, if the business grew to 40 hours a week I would be doing 80-90 hours per week. Seems unsustainable.

4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

Yeah, it's not sustainable.

That's why you only do it for a year or two. :laugh:

TPendagast likes this.
  5. South Hills Lawns

South Hills Lawns LawnSite Member

Not that I know of. We had regular blood tests done but I did hear of guys not being able to have kids, getting sick etc...

Precautions was an indoor ventilation system that sucked so much that we had to switch from lead bullets to frangible ammunition. After we switched to frang, copper levels were so bad I got sick a few times. One day it looked as though there was a green cloud hovering over all my shooters and my instructor tower because of all the copper dust.

Your health is #1 man, if you don't have that your quality of life will suffer.

redmax fan likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

My only issue with this is the fact that this business is a very personal type of work. I am friends with most of my clients and they trust me on their property I think it would be a big adjustment to start sending another person to the properties and would have a negative impact on revenue. Also how could i trust someone with thousands of dollars of equipment and clients? Not to mention offering health care for the emloyee as well as workers comp and everything else necessary. I think the current bottom line couldn't sustain this drastic change. Although I love your thoughts about "leveraging" the business as I know residual and passive income and investments are truly the only way to become financially independent and wealthy.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i was gonna say something doesn't add up with his numbers.

8. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Also missing the factoring in of the dangers of working with power equipment, fuel and chemicals and the vast increase in driving one does vs normal commuting

Lots of opportunity to get hurt doing what we do.
    Don’t paint the battery job like it’s more risk
    It’s not
    It’s OSHA regulated with workers comp and a big fat GL Policy
    Self employed allll the risk is yours.

You have the POTENTIAL to make more self employed but no guarantees to when or if

You have more flexibility self deplore but not if you want to make a lot of money

You can get one or the other
    Not both

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

Who said you needed to give health care to a single employee?

10. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

don't take the job man. i worked at an auto factory making $25/hr before starting my lawn business. quitting it was the best thing i ever did even though i make slightly less when it all comes out in the wash.

redmax fan likes this.