Take job offer or go all in on lawn care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenMan3000, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Take the job or expand the business?

1. Take The Job

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Expand the business

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

I think some of these people have never worked in a factory based on their responses.

weeze likes this.
  2. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

How much do you net compared to the auto job? How much is your health care costs and are you married, single , kids?

3. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

I thought by law anyone over 30 hours weekly has to be offered health care? Im new be patient lol

4. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Gold Member

Not for small businesses, there is a minimum number of employees. 50 I think?

RussellB likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

I am willing to work 50+ hours a week in the business, i think the business is safer id rather assume a risk than to knowingly expose myself to hazardous materials.

6. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

Life itself is a big gamble. Id rather take the low odds of getting hurt
    You're right about all the extra commuting and dangers associated with it.

7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i'm single. when i worked there i made $50k per year gross and healthcare was free....but life is more than just about the numbers. i worked swing shifts 1st and 2nd and my life was terrible. 2 weeks each shift then we would swap. your health goes down because you can't get used to it. also repetitive motions at factory jobs wear your body down over the years. it's said that for every 1 year you work at a factory job it takes 5 years off of your life. not totally true but there is some truth to it to a degree.

i've worked 3rd shift before too at another job. all that does is send you into depression. we aren't meant to work those hours. we are meant to work during the day and to sleep when it's dark outside. that's just the natural way of things. can you do it? yes but it will take a toll on you physically, mentally, spiritually, etc. etc. etc.

the economy went down in 2008 and they cut back some hours and that year i made $40k gross and didn't even notice a difference. i was there 6 years. each year they started upping the price of healthcare while they stopped giving any raises. so it was like $20 a month then the next year $30 then $40 and kept going up every year. so basically the longer you work there the less money you would make. sounds crazy but it's reality.

now i pay $85 a month for healthcare and gross about $30k a year. it went up from last year which was $75 a month. i pay $23 a month for dental insurance.

i haven't noticed really any difference in my lifestyle at all....granted i don't have a kid...but if you have a kid your taxes are even less..probably zero. i pay roughly $3000 a year in taxes. i prob write off anywhere from $5000-$10,000 a year in expenses and then you get such and such amount of a tax credit so i actually pay taxes on less than $20k a year.

you can also get food assistance or whatever you need if you have a kid. where is the mom? does she have a job? does she offer any money for the kid or is it all on him? having a kid you could probably get free housing if you needed it. not ideal but i'm just saying that is out there as an option.

you can do it if you want to do it. you have to sacrifice where you need to sacrifice. do i live in the biggest, best neighborhood in town? nope

i live in a 1500sq ft 3br 2 bath house that was $50k when i bought it. i could sell it for $70k right now if i wanted to. yeah i've had to do some work on it. it's an older house built in 1955-1960. it's solid. i've just painted everything and done a little as i go. got all new appliances and just put in a new heat a/c unit. a lot of it depends on where you live and the cost of living there. at my old job my house was the same as this one in size but slightly newer. it wasn't really any better and it was a $100k house which is double what i paid for this one. i live in an older neighborhood but it's not a dangerous or bad area to live in. it's nice and quiet.

i mean if you wanna live in a $500k house and send your kid to harvard or yale then mowing lawns isn't the best route to take. it's just life man. it all comes down to what life you want i guess. i knew a long time ago i was never gonna be rich or anything. it's just not in the cards for everyone....but it's ok. life is fine without being rich. you are richer in other ways. i'd rather have less money and be happy than to be rich and miserable and hate going to my job every day like i did before.

you aren't ever gonna be rich working a labor job anywhere anyways. it's just how society is set up. the rich people don't work...they have other people doing the work for them. it's just the way it is. in many ways you can only get rich if you are already rich as well. you are either born into it or you go to school for 8 years or more at a university in order to get "slightly" rich. maybe some people catch a break but for most of us that's never gonna happen. you just gotta adjust your life and deal with it and be happy with where you are at.

i've always shook my head at men that work 80hrs a week to support their family while the wife sits at home with no job at all. those guys are miserable. i know they are doing right and providing for family but it's just not worth it to go that route. there are better ways to do it. if you have to live on less then live on less. what good is it if are always working and never see your family? or if you are working 3rd shift and never get to see your kid hardly because of your messed up sleeping schedule? i mean there's pros and cons to everything. you have to decide what works for you and what doesn't.

i dunno how old your kid is but once the kid is out of the house then what? will you be happy working 3rd shift the rest of your life? probably not. you gotta think long term about these things not just "right now."

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    Doc8406 likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

My sons mother is completely absent, never makes effort and contributes nothing financially. I am used to it at this point. I have a system for child care for when im working and family that helps. I realistically know i'll probably never be rich and im ok with that I just want to make enough to save some away and be comfortable. I come from a poor family myself and know the realities of the wealth gap in this country where the top 1% own literally over 90% of the wealth. How were you able to get health coverage so cheap? During the season do you just chop off 30% to set aside for taxes and hope its less when tax time rolls around? I have a place to stay for free because my family owns it but I want to be able to get a modest mortgage in the future. How long did it take you to get your home loans set up and your own place? My goal is to be independent and not answer to a boss, and have the ability to manage my own life. There is no price on freedom. Thanks a lot for your honest and thoughtful response it helps more than you realize.

9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

youre over exaggerating the risks at the factory and greatly down playing the risks in our industry.
    Most people who attempt this fail.
    Most factories dont fail or kill their workers.
    The factory is regulated, our industry is not.
    Its in the factories best interest to mitigate the risks to their workers, no in is going to mitigate your risks, nevermind what you either dont know or cant control.

you arent weighing options, your making arguments to justify your decision... just do what you want, no need for justification... the risk is yours to take

10. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000