Take job offer or go all in on lawn care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenMan3000, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Take the job or expand the business?

1. Take The Job

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Expand the business

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

no you have to be over a certain company size (i think its 50 full time employees) I cant recall exactly the size, only that most of us are under that size, so i rarely pay attention to it.
    you CAN offer healthcare voluntarily, but are not required to do so.

If everyone over 30 hours was required to have work based health care, where would all the unisured/people on the market place be coming from?

2. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

Life itself is a big risk, we never know what will truly happen. Im assuming that you have taken on the risk of self employment how did you justify it? How big is your business and do you go in the field or only manage it?

3. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Since you are familiar with power washing I would think between that and lawn care you can gross $60k solo for sure. Just keep raising your prices every year or atleast on new bids.
    Obv every market is different but I grossed in the $60k range last 2 yrs w basic mowing / cleanups / mulch / etc. had an employee for a bit but that didn’t work out. Adding fertilizer apps this yr & a few new accounts I should be able to do $75-80k solo.

GreenMan3000 likes this.
  4. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

I think the power washing will honestly be more profitable and less labor than the mowing even though its not a weekly scheduled type thing. The hourly rate for soft washing and pressure washing is just way higher and less competition. I hardly ever see pressure washing set ups in my area but tons of trailers with zt's every spring. I am planning to get a Honda GX390 3500 psi 4.0 gpm set up soon, do you think this is aqeduate to start out? I already have a buffer tank for downstreaming and im going to get a nice surface cleaner and you would recommend?

5. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

You're about to the point where you have to add an employee to make more money.

GRANTSKI likes this.
  6. weeze

weeze Banned

well when they ask how much you make per year you put your net amount down not your gross. that's the amount after expenses and all your tax breaks and everything. that is the amount they go off of. what you pay is based on that amount. maybe it depends on where you live how much the prices are based on the cost of living? i dunno for sure. it really doesn't matter what you put. it doesn't have to be exact just close. if you over pay you get a credit on taxes and if you underpay you have to pay extra on your taxes. when you do it you are just making an educated guess on the upcoming season how much you will make. your monthly payment is based on that.

...but having a kid in the picture will make you pay more than being single i know that for sure.

when i first started i paid taxes at the end but now i pay them quarterly. (every 3 months) if you over pay then you get money back and if you don't pay enough then you have to pay more. you pay the same amount either way. one year i paid too much for healthcare and they credited my taxes the amount i overpaid. it's all included in your taxes. getting a loan for a house was easy as long as you have good credit. i think you just give them the amount you made for the past couple of years. it all goes by your taxes. they know what you make and what you don't make. the government knows everything.

if you have a free place to live ride it as long as you can. i know you want a place of your own but not having a house payment frees up lots of money to get yourself established. get your work equipment paid off and everything. get your truck paid off. then you have extra money to go buy a house once you have a good customer base built up. it takes time in this business it doesn't happen overnight. it took me 8 years to get to a comfortable place with my finances. there were a few times where i had to make payments on my taxes in the early years because i couldn't afford to pay it all at once....but now i'm at a place where i can pay them early throughout the year....then come april i don't have to worry about a big chunk of money all at once.

when you do buy a house buy the cheapest house you can live with. not a total junk pile but not something that is gonna strangle you financially. the less you pay on a house the more money you have for other things in life.

i had help from family in the beginning too. it's impossible to just jump into this without any help at all. it takes years before you can afford a living off of this. it doesn't all just come at once. you aren't gonna get 25-35 customers in your first year. you are lucky to get 5-10. then you add 5-10 every year after that....but of course you lose some each year because people move, start mowing themselves, lose their job, or whatever....so it takes longer than you think to get up to a good customer base. even after you establish that it changes every year. good customers pass away and stuff just happens. it's a constant renewal every year of getting those 5-10 new customers. you may lose 3-5 every year. some years you may get lucky and lose none though. some years you gain 5 and others you may gain 10. it's just constantly changing all of the time. is it risky? yes it is but so is everything in life. you can have a steady job anywhere and then get laid off because of cutbacks or restructuring or whatever. it happens all of the time.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  7. Hubber

Hubber LawnSite Member

I would take the job opportunity! I assume you'll get overtime pay, paid time off, holiday pay, maybe retirement benefits, along with insurance you could possibly make 60k+ as a total value. Also, you applied for the job, i assume you thought it was a good opportunity then, now it sounds like uu wan to talk your way out of it

8. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

yes the gamble is the security . but that security limits the heck out of your ceiling while staying on own in something you love doing raises that ceiling gigantically . and your already established in business so your not just whipping up wild dreams on a whim . for me there would be no way ide give up that business ! mean while worst case scenario if you did end up needing to find a job at some point your current job opportunity wouldny be that difficult to match . cut em high and let em fly !

9. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

$ will make you do crazy things.

No way am I taking that job and risking lead and arsenic poisoning.

How good is $ if your dead?

It’s just crazy to me what people will do when it comes to $.

10. redmax fan

redmax fan LawnSite Bronze Member

and say you keep business and get injured you could hire somebody else to labor while you manage thusly still keepin business