Take job offer or go all in on lawn care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenMan3000, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Take the job or expand the business?

1. Take The Job

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Expand the business

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

My thoughts are that no matter how many precautions and measures are taken to prevent dangerous exposure levels...its a fact that there is no "safe" level of lead in your body. Secondly its guaranteed that I will be exposed and it will be in my organs and blood, only ill be tested to make sure a certain level isn't exceeded. Research on lead indicates that it is never able to leave the body and becomes stored in bone tissues. I just can't wrap my mind around why anyone would do it honestly.

2. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

exactly i can't understand it , to me it seems like suicide for money lol

weeze and Matthews Lawn Care like this.
  3. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I know somebody who was exposed Hazardous material on his job. Wore mask. He made it a point of going to the doctor annually to get test done because he knew the risk. Guess what? He got Cancer!. Now he is focused on just staying alive. Plenty of jobs out there that aren't so hazardous to your health.
    The major problem with lawn care is your constant exposure to the Sun. I Have skin damage on both arms that could turn Cancerous. I tan easily and still got Sun damage up to my elbows.. You can't see it, but you sure can feel it. I just never wanted to wear sun screen. Be sure to wear a hat on the job

hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  4. Spartan57

Spartan57 LawnSite Member

Don’t take the job! It’s not worth the risk. Besides the health risk there are other things to consider, how is the management, what are your coworkers like, how is the company culture? I spent the last 4 years in a manufacturing plant and it was absolutely miserable. I loved the job itself but the company was a terrible to work for. Most of my coworkers were unhappy people that complained constantly and “not my job” was the only thing they knew how to say. More often than not, supervisors would meet production at the punch clock on a Friday afternoon and say “ we are working tomorrow be here at 3am.” The president of the company changed 6 months after I started and over next 2 years systematically fired upper management to bring their own people. This created a high pressure/ high stress culture that made everyone feel as if we would be fired at any moment and the few people who actually cared about their job left before they were fired, myself included. (And, yes, I know technically no one has security at any job) Did I mention over a 5 year period we had 4 people have a mental breakdown and 2 have heart attacks?
    My point is I left a mon-fri, 7-4:30 job, 1 mile from my house that had a total valve of close to $50,000 (pay plus benefits) because of not only possible health risk but overall work conditions were taking a toll on my overall well-being.

weeze and hort101 like this.
  5. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

Skip the factory job. There is not guaranteed security there. Keep growing your business.
    There is a maximum pay ceiling at factory, there are no limits on how much you can grow your business.
    There are risks in both choices, there are also known factors in both places.
    And as others have pointed out. There are other job's also. Lead ain't the only game in town.

6. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Also consider what you would be bringing home on your clothes / etc to your new born baby.
    You have a business in place - fine tune it. Sure power washing is good - but the thing I love about lawn mowing is - once you set your route for the season - you can project your (minimum) income for the yr. But w power washing you gotta constantly advertise and book jobs to stay busy. That can add a lot to your stress and anxiety.
    My lawn mowing route is set at $1600+ weekly before I pick up any side work : to me that is great to have that security . As compared to business models that are sell - sell - sell or you don’t work.

hort101 likes this.
  7. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Absolutely. I hired my brother temporarily last yr to get a real grasp on the numbers once you hire (yikes).
    Solo I was at $70per man hour. W an employee very hard to break $50 and he works hard !!! So my route needs a little fine tuning and still gonna trim a little fat. My plan w fert apps is to only service existing customers & nothing over 1/2 acre - so the basic fert apps I can do same day as mowing. That hourly on those days will be ridiculous. But that will definitely put me at my max.
    I will probably hire part Time but honestly I’m looking to really hustle solo this yr to clean up my debt / etc.

hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  8. Hubber

Hubber LawnSite Member

I'd do it because I know there's risk in a lot jobs out there. Working outside in the sun can cause cancer too, scientist are exposed to dangerous chemicals, truck drivers body detoriate from sitting all day, my dad lived a very healthy lifestyle and worked in an office throughout his career but still got cancer at age 60. At least you can track the exposure on a monthly basis from this job.

9. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

I guess $ wins over quality of life?

You know I hear people wishing they could have had more time with their loved ones when they are looking at the last few days of their life. Not once have I ever heard any of them say they’d wish they had made more $, had a nicer car, house, clothes, etc.

Life is a crazy obstacle course. Everyone has a different way of conquering it. What you need to ask yourself is, what do you really want out of life?

Any of us could get in an auto accident tomorrow and die. You could be the most healthy, richest, happiest person in the world but what will your loved ones say at your funeral? What will your kids remember about you that will help them navigate life when your gone?

See, what we often forget is the big picture. We look at the now, the things that make us uncomfortable or inconvenienced and we base our goals on those things. The reality of it is, none of those things really matter in the end.

You can always make more $. You can’t make more time. The choice is yours, which are you going to choose?

10. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Well you just answered it once and for all. Read your last sentence.