Take job offer or go all in on lawn care

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by GreenMan3000, Jan 25, 2019.

?

Take the job or expand the business?

1. Take The Job

5 vote(s)
    18.5%
  2. Expand the business

22 vote(s)
    81.5%
  1. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

GreenMan3000 LawnSite Member

To me the heat is the biggest factor in mowing and landscaping, but definitely tolerable with adequate hydration and not over pacing yourself.

2. Mow-Daddy.com

Mow-Daddy.com LawnSite Fanatic

10k today Mabby. But as a business in 5-10 years he could be doing 100k more each yr. Factory job is maxed out.
    You are only looking at short term,
    Yes this year he might make more breathing lead, but next year he could double his income being his own boss.

3. That Guy Gary

That Guy Gary LawnSite Silver Member

I'd be shocked if the guys on a battery factory floor aren't wearing bunny suits while the air is being constantly monitored for contamination.

Lead does leave the body, even your bones. Lead deposited there takes the longest though. It wouldn't be a bad idea to do a little research and actually ask questions regarding what processes are in place to mitigate the risk.

They don't want you to get sick. They know that if you become seriously ill on the job they are on the hook to take care of you until you recover, and if you don't they will support you for the rest of your life, and then get sued by your surviving family.

Hubber likes this.
  4. Hubber

Hubber LawnSite Member

Thats all maybes. Maybe he can find success working in the factory or maybe he could be out of business in 3years due to various reasons. I had that happen to me and I found it is much better to work for someone else. It felt like the business owned me. I have no problem with taking orders from coorporate and doing good job at it too.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  5. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

Through my tour in the facility most of the workers were wearing respirators but nothing other than that as far as protection besides gloves. They had on typical uniforms, khaki pants and button up shirts.

That Guy Gary likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

Then maybe you shouldn't have been in business in the first place honestly.

7. OP
    OP
    GreenMan3000

Tell us why you went out of business

Matthews Lawn Care likes this.
  8. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Well, considering I used to provide uniforms to Northstar battery and had to take all the training courses before stepping foot in the building and had to suit up like a hazmat team does prior to entering every week, I’m going to go ahead and say, that a battery manufacturing plant is far more risky than mowing.

Unless your mowing Chernobyl, I’d say your a lot safer than the battery plant.

If $10k is worth the risk to you and others, I’m happy for ya. Somebody has to keep making the batteries I need.

9. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Yep. I delivered uniforms to a battery plant for many years. Completely crazy what we had to do to insure there was no cross contamination.

They paid a lot of $ to have those uniforms washed and maintained by us.

10. Hubber

Hubber LawnSite Member

Like a lot of people, I wanted to be my own boss and dreamed of becoming a franchise and of course, make lots money. Make a long short I lost my business due to having very little capital. Things happen and you need to be prepared, maybe have 6month worth of income for those rainy days.

hort101 likes this.