1. Is Landscaping An “Essential Business” In Your Region?
    Read the timely article from Turf addressing this question. Click here to learn more.

COVID-19 Safety Procedures For Landscapers
    As you are working out in the field, maximize safety for you, your crews, and customers. Click here to learn more.

Dismiss Notice

Take the scrub test

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Jun 23, 2000.

1. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Crew,<p>Thanks for the insightful response. I never thought I'd get one in the midst of the wisecracks and one-liners. ;)<p>Let me make this one thing perfectly clear, however, I *do* charge more than $25/cut on most yards. Most of my yards are big enough that I make my money on them by charging large amounts of money. :)<p>What I don't get, and I'm dying to have explained to me in reasonable fashion, is how I'm losing money or hurting the Industry by charging $25/month on a lawn that takes maybe a half-hour all month to do? My math tells me that adds up to $50/hour with very low expense. <p>I have several customers in that ballpark. They're good people and good customers who, for various reasons, are unable to cut their own yards (however small). I know of dozens of gardeners in the area that would pick them up for less than what I charge them (or roughly the same) so I could let them go and know they're taken care of ... but why!?<p>Maybe I live in the heart of Scrubland and just don't know any better. I'm willing to learn. I have a dozen customers I can call right now and tell them their price is about to quadruple (so that I can make $200/hour at their place) or let them go. I have another dozen or so customers where I know I'm not making a good enough wage at better than $25/cut that I am planning serious action on, but I just don't see how cutting out the little guys I'm making money on is going to help. <p>Educate me. :)<p>-TGC<p><p><font size="1">Edited by: TGCummings

2. steven Bousquet

steven Bousquet LawnSite Member

your a scrub if 1. you think a belt drive toro is faster than my exmark lazer. 2. your spray rig is a gizzmo on a walk behind. 3.you think you have a lawn app business but treat less than 2 million feet per round. 4. you think employees a just retards who bother you.

3. richard2

richard2 Banned

you might be a scrub if you think a reel is on a rod!

4. Ricky

Ricky LawnSite Member

I'm devastated! I just found out I'm a &quot;scrub&quot;. But I'm a happy little scrub, with my new deisel powered Dixie Chopper. I mow so fast and grin so big I have to carry a tooth brush when I mow to knock the bugs off my teeth.

5. GrassMaster

GrassMaster Senior Member

Hello Everybody:<p>I was a scrub, I carried extension cords when I first started.<p>LOL, I've done body work with a Echo SRM 2501 before.<p>I was at a 36 unit condo site from hell. It was a 103 degrees & I had 3 trimmers & 2 blowers down, some how water had got into our 2 cycle fuel. This is only time this ever happened to me.<p>I was in asphalt parking lot, on my knees under the tail gate of truck trying to get a little shade, while removing water from units. <p>Air as thick as Pea Soup, about 2:00 or 3:00 & I could not keep my sweat band rung out enough, my eyes were on fire from sweat.<p>Good ole Mrs. Aggervatethehelloutofya was there trying to tell me about the 2 magnolia leaves under her car that we missed. I told her to please let us try to get our work done. She decided that I was rude & was complaining to others.<p>After a while there were about 4 or 5 of them you know whats there. All were wanting to make complaints. It was the longest 30 min. in my life, I was hoping they would get a good taste of what I got.<p>Well I fixed all but one Trimmer & when I started to put unit in back of my truck, they all wanted to talk to me.<p>LOL, I said wait one minute, I walked around to front of truck & held unit by shaft head end. Then I started to banging it in the center of hood & I was hitting it hard too.<p>LOL, when I finished, they were all gone, BTW they never bothered me again. <p>I hit so hard & so many times, that the rod that goes through the truck air cleaner busted the carb & had to go unhook one trailer & come back, get other trailer & leave the truck over night til I found another carb.<p>It was one of the best feelings I ever had in my life. Oh when I finished I threw it over truck into trailer & almost hit one of the guys laughing at me. The other 4 guys got trimmer hit one time & threw in back of trailer also. Till they were all done.<p>We almost died laughing. I was never a scrub after that. I just had to let go & get it out of my system!!!!!<p>----------<br>GrassMaster - Home: www.lawnservicing.com<br>My Start Up Page www.lawnservicing.com/startup/

6. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

TGC, my minimum was 25$ 10 years ago. I think the price of everything has gone up since then due to inflation. Its just that when a contractor is willing to go back to 10 year old prices he keep that viscious cycle going. You may get a customer up to 40$ in a few years. Then a scrub will hand out a flyer saying he will do it for 20 or 25$. You may or may not get dumped for that scrub. This has been going on forever. That some of what this forum is about. With the seasonal hours so valueable you could be spending your time somewhere else making 35 per stop. Of the 25$ the government gets 25%. Fuel in equipment take some. Fuel in vehicle takes some. Miliage. Wear and tear on your equipment. You are running a seasonal business not working for hr rate at a factory where you are getting benefits. You have to pay all that out of what you are making. Anyway we have had this discussion so many times. It would pay for you to read the archives. Oh yes and the customer you are wroking for 25$ tell everyone they know that you are doing that. And they expect that rate too.<br><p><font size="1">Edited by: Charles

7. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

Okay, Charles, if this has already been discussed ad naseum then I'll check the archives when I get some time. I don't want to hamper the boards with boring repeats.<p>I do think that one thing that may have a great effect out here on pricing, however, is that work *isn't* seasonal. We never have an offseason since we never get severe weather one way or another. It rains off and on from November to May, then stays mostly dry from June to October. I work year around on lawns. <p>I'll definitely look into it, though. If I'm doing something that's hurting my business or, potentially worse, the Industry, then I want to fix it...<p>-TGC

8. Toroguy

Toroguy LawnSite Bronze Member

Grassmaster<br>Quickstraw McGraw used to turn into El Kabong and smash people over the head with his Guitar with BubbaLouie at his side. Which is an arcane reference to a cartoon from the 70's.<p>I think we have all wanted to go nuts like you did. Now that I know there was one before me, I may have to give it a try.<p>

9. amym

amym LawnSite Member

I have one customer that I only charge $20 to cut her tiny-tiny yard. She's 87 years old barely lives off her s.s. check and a great lady. I wouldn't try to make a living doing this but 1 yard and a little charity never hurt anyone.

10. Charles

Charles Moderator, Friend, Angel

All little old ladies will tell you they are &quot;barely&quot; living off their social security checks. You better get some of her bundle of money before the church does to build that new activity building to go with that sports arena they built last year