takedown info

Discussion in 'Christmas Trees & Seasonal' started by David Gretzmier, Dec 7, 2008.

1. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

Nice David,

We have 35 to go but we are dealing with more snow storms than ever and now we have single digit weather conditions and more snow on the way.

I spoiled my customers in the past with good weather and fast take downs. Now I am getting calls as to our schedule because they are used to us being there already. Most are understanding that we can only do so much and move so fast. We put an additional crew back out yesterday to try to get us back on schedule.

But I agree a warehouse guy is key, we are not to the point of justifying one yet but man my warehouse is a disaster right now:hammerhead:

2. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

David Gretzmier LawnSite Gold Member

my warehouse guy comes in at 5:30 or so, and his install partner comes in at 7 or so, and they get themselves and the other 2 crews unloaded/loaded by 8am when everyone else gets there. and then they install/takedown til around 2-3pm. next year I will probably have both of them coming in at 5:30 to do 4 crews in November.

3. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

the guys will need one more day to finish up, about 1/2 day at most. so officially done with takedowns tomorrow.

4. christmas79

christmas79 LawnSite Member

Good for you! Well here in Chicago its COLD right now -15! My lights days are over in till it warms up above freezing.

5. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

and I thought I was a wimp for not wanting to work when it was in the teens on the positive side of zero. The coldest it got here was 6 degrees one early morning. It'll be 50 here today, I'll be setting up a landscape light demonstration for a potential customer later today.

6. M&N Maintenance

M&N Maintenance LawnSite Member

We will once again atempt to start take downs again here in Chicago. Some of the homes we can't even try snow and ice still on roof.

7. turf hokie

turf hokie LawnSite Silver Member

For the first time since I have been doing lights we have had to leave roof lines up, cords iced to gutters and stake lighting frozen in the ground for a later time. We are getting 2 storms a week average since the new year at 1-2 inches per time and then brutal cold(for us). We have been lucky to crack freezing with temps usually in the teens. We hope to be done by the end of the month but may still have some items that are unable to be taken down unless we get some warmer temps.

Frustratingly slow this year....

8. hotrod1965

hotrod1965 LawnSite Senior Member

I feel you!

9. OP
    OP
    David Gretzmier

Man, I'm sorry you guys have had bad weather. In the past 3 years, we have finished right around Feb 1, and as late as Feb 5th or so. I feel bad for saying so, but we have had spectacular weather for us. This along with a full set of crews allowed us to finish earlier than ever. Here's to hoping that good weather comes your way !

10. loupiscopolandscaping

loupiscopolandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

thank you guys. im just looking into other fields to see if i have an interest in them. thanks again for your help