• How has the weather been in your neck of the woods?
    We are looking for feedback from our membership to see how/what the weather has been like in your area. Please Click here to take our Winter Weather Survey, we would appreciate it.

taking care of tools

pines

LawnSite Member
what do you use to treat your shovels rakes etc..I once read an article that recommended treating/wiping them with a liquid that I have since forgotten. Any suggestions?

MudslinginFX4

LawnSite Bronze Member
I've heard many things but never done them... Luckly we don't break to many of them so it isn't that big of a deal. I also get general tools (shovels, rakes, etc.) at a pretty good price.

Coffeecraver

LawnSite Senior Member
I always use linseed oil, when I get ready to put tools away for the winter time.

You can take the stuff and rub it on the handle. It makes it protected and makes it a lot softer on your hands.

On other handles like a hammer handle, you can do the same thing. And also with a hammer, you know sometimes the hammer head is loose, well the reason is probably because the wood has shrunk a little bit.

And if you will put it in a container,pour the linseed oil in there and let it soak. You're going to end up causing the wood to
swell back up.

:)