• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

taking debit/credit cards, risks?

csl

LawnSite Member
so a lot of the commercial accounts we maintain are now requiring us to take credit cards, so they can speed up the process and keep better track of their payments. i have a buddy that runs a credit POS company, so we have a portable POS machine. other than the 3% we get dinged every time we slide a card, does anyone have any other negatives about taking cards??? i have some customers that want us to just run their card every month, but i am leary of keeping peoples card info on hand. i dont want that liability. does anyone have a form they make customers sign prior to keeping card info??? wanna share it??? any info is helpful, thanks,.

ProcsLC

LawnSite Member
We actually only have a few accounts that pay by credit card. Surprisingly enough, most people have been "trained" to either write a check or pay in cash... With the few we do take, we keep their info on file and then just charge them once a month... Send them a statement marked PAID and haven't had any issues... Most of these are commercial accounts and we were required to do the same thing... It's actually worked out better and doesn't need to go thru 3 or 4 people before we get paid now... I wouldn't worry to much about holding onto a commercial accounts credit card number unless your bill processeing is mobile (Like a laptop in the truck) we keep all the personal info at home and never had any issues...

OP
csl

csl

LawnSite Member
yeah i just worry about security, but i will be the only person who will access any of the info. and i just talked to my POS guy, and they can automaticaly bill each month for a given set period. do you have your customers sign anything to begin with? release form? any other problems? thanks

OP
csl

csl

LawnSite Member
with our system it doesnt matter if its credit or debit. it charges us 2.2%, and if they use american express it adds a $.15 service charge. its a one time fee of $89 to have the machine then $34 a year in maintenance.

ProcsLC

LawnSite Member
We don't use a release form, just the signed annual contract with a box to check for automatic debit/credit withdrawls... Literally one extra line on our commercial agreement authorizing us to debit the card monthly... I would add that to your current contracts for the upcoming season..

Our Says:

I (initials of customer) agree to the terms of this agreement and authorize (Your company name) to debit the following account every 30 days for services performed in accordance to this agreement. Additional work or services will be billed seperatly from this agreement.
( Customer sign & date)

OP
csl

csl

LawnSite Member
sounds good guys, thanks for the info.

Bob_n_weave

LawnSite Senior Member
so a lot of the commercial accounts we maintain are now requiring us to take credit cards, so they can speed up the process and keep better track of their payments. i have a buddy that runs a credit POS company, so we have a portable POS machine. other than the 3% we get dinged every time we slide a card, does anyone have any other negatives about taking cards??? i have some customers that want us to just run their card every month, but i am leary of keeping peoples card info on hand. i dont want that liability. does anyone have a form they make customers sign prior to keeping card info??? wanna share it??? any info is helpful, thanks,.

I think you might like this better. Im only part time,Solo or I would use this.
Anybody using this already ?

http://www.nynab.com/landing/