1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Taking out the dead grass...what to use?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by North Country, Apr 15, 2004.

1. North Country

North Country LawnSite Member

OK....I got this lawn contract lined up that requires me to mow AND rake out the dead grass. These people want this done weekly.

What tool besides a hand rake will work best without damaging the good grass? Maybe something I can tow behind a rider?

This is my first time...that's why I'm asking.

2. LawnMower

LawnMower LawnSite Senior Member

If your mowing ones a week and either mulching , or bagging it, there wont be any dead grass. You can get a tow behind sweeper, that will pick it up too.

You can go out and get a dethatcher. That will bring all the dead grass and thatch to the surface. Then you bag or rake or mulch the dead grass. However it stresses the grass out. Thats a ones a year thing.

When you said dead grass, did you mean the clippings from mowing? I could have mis understood.

3. GrassFearsMe

GrassFearsMe LawnSite Senior Member

You could do it once a month if you use the jrco attachment but i wouldn't do it everyweek. If you use a catcher you will not have to thatch everyweek thats ludacris. The thatch helps keep moisture in and the roots from burning.

4. North Country

North Country LawnSite Member

Went to check it out. It is a one time thing. I referred it away. And it was not the clippings but the dead grass that is rooted.

Thanks guys.