1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

talk about expensive gas

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ffemt1271, Jul 24, 2007.

1. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

i was at my dealer today , they have started selling pre-mix 50:1 & 40:1 in cans. $4 per quart or $13.99 Gallon i can't remember the name but it came in metal cans. :hammerhead:

2. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Wait. They were SELLING FUEL? Actually selling it, not just putting fuel in your mower and charging a Fluids Fee like we do?

This is a BIG no-no. Is anyone dumb enough to actually buy pre-mixed fuel? Wow.

I'm sorry, I'm a dealer but that is ridiculous and dangerous. Wonder what the state fuel and transportation guys would say?

3. Americal Vet

Americal Vet LawnSite Senior Member

My thoughts exactly..........:confused:

4. ffemt1271

ffemt1271 LawnSite Bronze Member

yeah thats what i thought when i saw it, as if gas wasn't high enough already.

5. r.eckley

r.eckley LawnSite Member

Thats about as bad as buying premixed antifreeze. Who cant mix their own. People sure like to have everything done for them.

6. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

I dunno. I like the pre-mix stuff JUST for the fact that they use distilled water. If I don't have access to distilled water for coolant systems, the pre-mix is the way to go. Remember, the less minerals in the water, the longer your coolant will last.

7. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I don't care about how long the coolant will last since I change it out every 2 years anyway. Tap water is the number 1 reason that radiators get holes in them. I use premix too. I also keep a gallon container of distilled water to top off the tank in case I'm out of premix (like now).

8. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I sell my neighbors a gallon of premix for $5 if they come looking for a little gas for their trimmer.

9. TXNSLighting

TXNSLighting LawnSite Fanatic
    from DFW, TX

wow...not the best idea...

10. Juan_Deere

Juan_Deere LawnSite Senior Member

The purpose of premix is for people that don't need to top off that often. I think it's pretty stupid to buy a gallon of anti-freeze, that has to be mixed with a gallon of water, when you are only going to use half a gallon, or less, in your vehicle. Now you have a little less than two gallons of anti-freeze that you have to worry about storing, and you still only have one, one gallon, anti-freeze bottle. Many people also don't have a garage or shed to keep extra chemicals around. So it makes perfect sense for them to buy premix. It doesn't make them dumb or lazy.