Lawn Care Forum banner

Tank From Tractor Supply?

2K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  RigglePLC 
#1 ·
I need a bigger tank. Can I get a Tank from say Tractor Supply or Northern Tool and put an agitator in it. I can't find any places with a tank and agitator in one.

#3 ·
Are you talking about a mechanical agitator? I have a friend that bought a tank from tractor supply and plumbed everything himself. It works great, he uses jet agitation which is pretty standard these days. My tank is also jet agitation.
I would use get agitation also. I was either going to take it out of my other one and put it in there or something. I have never plumbed one before. Do you just tip it over drill the whole seal it and all? If I don't use my jet do you just order a jet and put it in?

#5 ·
Jason, good idea that is what I did--400 gallons --see my pics. Jet agitation. There are a couple of interesting complications. Its best to put your agitation return line on the top of the tank--less risk of leaks. You need a hole saw. You need a special fitting--its called a "bulkhead fitting" or "through-tank fitting". Hose nipple on both sides and threads in the middle, plus some rubber gaskets. Inside the tank run some plastic tubing down to the bottom of the tank and add 2 or 3 agitation nozzles aimed sideways. Try to get the solution to swirl around and rotate.

Or you can just add an additional 200 gallon tank. But you have to link the valves together or have a good memory. If you suck out of one and agitate the other--it will quickly overflow.

#6 ·
Jason, good idea that is what I did--400 gallons --see my pics. Jet agitation. There are a couple of interesting complications. Its best to put your agitation return line on the top of the tank--less risk of leaks. You need a hole saw. You need a special fitting--its called a "bulkhead fitting" or "through-tank fitting". Hose nipple on both sides and threads in the middle, plus some rubber gaskets. Inside the tank run some plastic tubing down to the bottom of the tank and add 2 or 3 agitation nozzles aimed sideways. Try to get the solution to swirl around and rotate.

Or you can just add an additional 200 gallon tank. But you have to link the valves together or have a good memory. If you suck out of one and agitate the other--it will quickly overflow.
Well I took your advice and kinda did what you said. They didn't have that bulkhead at home depot so I just ran a plumbing t in through the top for now. I then split the hoses off and add to shrub heads or whatever you call them to the ends of them. I still need to make them longer but for now it does swirl with the 2 heads in there. It might not be great agitation but the water was moving around for sure.

#7 ·
Here is the bulkhead fitting you need. It is the only way to attach a hose to a tank. Properly done, they do not leak.
http://www.dultmeier.com/prod-search.asp

I should have been more specific. The tube inside the tank should be semi rigid-black poly irrigation tubing. It is stiff enough so the jets do not cause it to move (much). Use special agitation nozzles. In my tank I used four. Use elbows and nipples to aim them all in the same direction for best swirling action. Each one should use about a gallon per minute at the best range.
http://www.dultmeier.com/products/search/2491

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.