Tarrifs and the future.

WIgolfsuper

LawnSite Member
Just wanted to start a discussion about the tarrifs that we are about to begin to feel. Most of the pesticides we use on a daily basis come from China and you better believe we will feel the tarrifs when they kick in soon. I am currently entertaining the idea of buying or hedging my bet for 2020. I have the storage and cash on hand to do it but will it be worth it.

I know china is not going to come to the negotiating table till Trump wins or loses. Either way we will be paying 25-30% more for pesticides if they can't get a deal done.

Anyone else worried about this? Planning for this?

Thanks in advance.

Doc8406

LawnSite Fanatic
Just wanted to start a discussion about the tarrifs that we are about to begin to feel. Most of the pesticides we use on a daily basis come from China and you better believe we will feel the tarrifs when they kick in soon. I am currently entertaining the idea of buying or hedging my bet for 2020. I have the storage and cash on hand to do it but will it be worth it.

I know china is not going to come to the negotiating table till Trump wins or loses. Either way we will be paying 25-30% more for pesticides if they can't get a deal done.

Thanks in advance.
you do it just like every one else in an industry.. you pass it through..

Cut n Strut

LawnSite Gold Member

Thanks in advance.
Can’t worry about things you can not control or that haven’t happened yet. It won’t do any good to worry about it. However, educating customers and looking at ways to become more efficient to keep prices affordable wouldn’t be a bad idea.

MowDaddy

LawnSite Fanatic

Thanks in advance.

Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of pesticides during 2018.
  • China: $5.2 billion (14.3% of total exported pesticides)
  • Germany: $4.3 billion (11.8%)
  • United States: $4.2 billion (11.5%)
As you can see USA is the 3rd largest (exporter) of pesticides, which means we aren't going to be hurt much from a tariff on pesticide (imports)

That Guy Gary

LawnSite Gold Member
Below are the 15 countries that exported the highest dollar value worth of pesticides during 2018.
  • China: $5.2 billion (14.3% of total exported pesticides)
  • Germany: $4.3 billion (11.8%)
  • United States: $4.2 billion (11.5%)
As you can see USA is the 3rd largest (exporter) of pesticides, which means we aren't going to be hurt much from a tariff on pesticide (imports)
The companies designing the new generation of pesticides are concerned about controlling their IP.

There's still going to be a bump in prices but it'll be mostly at the bottom end.