Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have been asked to give my first formal bid. Its on a Church and cemetery, Maps Live,
Does anyone have a sample bid sheet I can look at or possibly use.
I was told by the grounds chairman that the current guy is being paid $1500 a month, but is doing a lousy job and even at 1500 its way underbid. I was thinking about 2200 - 2500 a month, weekly service. just me doing it. Its a mow,line trim, edge, and make sure theres no grass on the head stones.
If you look at the picture theres a line of trees at the rear of the cememtery then an open field. Some one bushhogs the field so its no included. Any suggestions and or help will be very appreciated.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Do your roads really not have names??
Yup, this is so country we're lucky to have susnshin piped in. Mostly just country road numbers.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That should be sunshine not susnshin, my fingers get faster than my brain :)

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
If the property in question is that hole square block, I would be pushing for a minimum $2,500 a month
Yup, everything except the area behind the trees at the back edge of the cemetery and runs from tree line to tree line. The grounds super said it was about 5 acres total (I think)
Thanks for the input, I was leaning to $2400 a month so I must be in the ball park.

·
Banned
23,143 Posts
First I wanted to say it would be nice if the folks asking for the bid
would REFRAIN themselves from throwing money figures around like that,
especially to discuss what the previous or current company is getting!

I personally find this an unethical practice, a bidding process should be
done from a clean slate and not with that 1500 figure playing with our
heads, I don't particularly know what to say other than it would have
been really nice if that figure had not been made available.

I would bid it at the $1500.00 and go on...
No...

And here's why:

the current guy is being paid $1500 a month, but is doing a lousy job
Yup, yup, how many times have I heard that one?

So ....

Do your best job at coming up with the right price.
Doesn't have to be high, low, or anything but right.
Then, turn that in as your bid.

·
Registered
2,183 Posts
First I wanted to say it would be nice if the folks asking for the bid
would REFRAIN themselves from throwing money figures around like that,
especially to discuss what the previous or current company is getting!

I personally find this an unethical practice, a bidding process should be
done from a clean slate and not with that 1500 figure playing with our
heads, I don't particularly know what to say other than it would have
been really nice if that figure had not been made available.

No...

And here's why:

Yup, yup, how many times have I heard that one?

So ....

Do your best job at coming up with the right price.
Doesn't have to be high, low, or anything but right.
Then, turn that in as your bid.
I don't always agree with top site, but he really makes a lot of sense here. I never take into consideration the previous guys price or anyone's else. You know what you need as far as your operation cost are and what YOU are worth. Don't bend and just price it honestly. In my area I would be between 2200 and 2600 a month @ 4 cuts a month. Wish you the best in getting that contract. It sure would be nice chunk of change for you.

·
Registered
365 Posts
I quess that means if the last guy was getting $3000.00 a month and doing a lousy job you should bid it for $4200....you should price it at what it would take YOU...its just a bonus if the last guy does a lousy job because they might not give his a 2nd look...I put it out there for what I believe I could do it for.....which would have been less but since they are paying $1500. I would go with that and go on with it... after 28 yrs. I have some that we know what the prices are some high and some low I always price it at what I think it would take me if it higher or lower thats is business not low balling or what ever....it does help to know what they are paying to give you a heads up so you know..being in busness you never ran across someone telling you what the last guy price was???

·
Registered
667 Posts
If the client is willing to disclose the previous guys price, I always ask to see the other guys contract to validate him. He may be fishing, as the specs of the contract may not be the same.

·
Registered
10,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
some very good and valid points. Ya'll are giving me lots to think about. Thank you.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Just throwing out some info but a local cometary that I've done work at that is the same size (5 acres) gets 500 dollar a week to come cut it (rather poorly if i might add) they are only required to trim and edge every other week as per their contract.

While we were working on the project I had to cut it probably 4 times. Took around 6 hours with me on a 52" WB going lengthwise and another guy cutting the opposite way with a 36" WB and also one guy just trimming. I did all the mowing by myself with one guy trimming then joined him to finish and it took an extra 2 hours approximately.

You definitely would want to try to get trimming on an every other weed schedule in the contract if at all possible. Talk about a long day staring at 8000 headstones as you trim around them.

Sorry should probably mention this site was FULL it took a good amount of planning (and flagging) to find certain spots that allowed a 52" to cross rows. And comparitivly when we had pulled some stones for work it went MUCH faster with a 54" toro zero-turn.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.