Lawn Care Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets not start a big argument on this post please! I have tattoo's on my back and legs, all covered with Jeans and T-Shirt. I was looking to get one on my forearm, how would this effect meeting with a possible Client? I have not thought of this as a huge issue but I was looking for some input. Does anyone out there have visable tat's while wearing your work gear?

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a half sleeve tat on my right arm with tattoos on both of my forearms and always wear sleeveless under armour. I've never had any issues with this, atleast not that I'm aware of. My attitude is always polite and professional, I think that is what should matter.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have worn shorts on the job a couple years back and customers didnt mind the one on my leg. Current customers acutally asked to see it closer. I don't see a huge issue. I have wanted to start on one arm sleeve but I think i'm going to test out my forearm tat first and see how that goes over.

·
Registered
241 Posts
i have a tattoo of my sons foot print on my right forearm. looks cool and i get a lot of compliments from customers. the tips to tattoos are keeping them clean looking. no T & A.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My tattoo's have meaning, Im not looking to get skulls or flames or anything. I was looking to get "Faith" on one arm and "Hope" on the other. I'm not too concerned if anybody on these forums like it because alot probably wont. It's something I want and has meaning to me. I was just curious on the 'professional' point of view on things.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I think a lot of it has to do with your attitude when you meet with the customer. If you are meeting with somebody that you think might have a problem just wear a long sleeve shirt. I have a tattoo around my wrist & have never experienced any problems.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm sure it depends on the person. Example: My mother in law absolutely HATES tattoos. I mean, she practically equates them to the devil, she's crazy. My wife recently got a small, golfball sized tat on her lower leg. It was a tat of the flower that was named after her deceased father "hugs from george" (her cousins breed daylilies, they named it after him). Her mother came unglued: "I thought we raised you better than that Katie!" You would've thought that she was jailed for murder the way that women acted.

Your average person probably won't care, especially if its just "Faith and Hope", not like your tattooing nudity or something on your arms.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I'm old so I have a jaded opinion. I don't know why anyone would want to abuse their body with something like a tatoo. I personally feel most of the NBA players these days look like a bunch of street thugs.

But my dad had a tatoo he got, probably after being out partying all night, when he was in WW-II. Tatoos have been around for a long time.

I personally don't associate tatoos with professionalism or people of high education. But times have changed. People in my business don't where a suit and tie and have a neck tatoo.

It depends on the image you're trying to convey and the cliental you're trying to attrack. If you drive up with a muddy broken down truck, go to the door with dirty blue jeans, shaggy facial hair and dirty wife beater tee shirt it sends a completely different message than someone who is dressed in clean jeans and clean polo with a company logo who clean shaven. If the quotes are close I know who I'd hire.

·
Registered
1,661 Posts
My school of thought has always been just get them where they could easily be covered up or out of the "first impression" line of sight. Places like your back, shoulders, upper arms are ok cuz most of the time you have a t-shirt (at least) on and no one would never know they are there. The forearms I'd stay away from cuz its harder to cover up if need be. When I get mine here in the next few weeks, its going on the back of my lower leg. Even though I do wear shorts when I'm working or not working in the summer, I don't really think the back of my lower leg is a focal point for most people (or at least I hope not).

·
Registered
5,522 Posts
Tattoos on males:
I would NOT hire a helper with any visible Tattoos, or a smoker for that matter or excessively overweight. For an interview I would request them to show up to it wearing shorts and T shirt. Because I wear shorts and T Shirt in hot weather.

If I was an old fart of 85 and I was going to hire someone...Tattoos would be a resistance factor to me. Pure an simple. In this biz you need as much going for you as possible. For my business I want to project a fit, athletic professional image. Tattoos just don't cut it.

---

Tattoos on females:

A female helper with visible tattoos? Um...don't think I can request them to show up to an interview with shorts and T shirt...maybe I can? Was actually considering hiring a female helper.

---

Ok ...if my wife ran off with a rich boyfriend and left my son and I to ourselves... would I date a girl with a ankle tattoo or lower back tattoo...? Maybe. Other subtle ones ...maybe? But I'd wonder why? A smoker of tobacco absolutely NOT ...huge turn off.

·
Banned
375 Posts
I wouldn't think it would be a problem as who knows whats under peoples shirts and its not as if your going to be going shirt less. Just say mention to any employees you may have and are thinking of getting tatts "No shoes, No shirts, No employment"

·
Registered
29,217 Posts
i have a tattoo of my sons foot print on my right forearm. looks cool and i get a lot of compliments from customers. the tips to tattoos are keeping them clean looking. no T & A.
Yep , I have a bad girl,( topless with a handgun) on my left shoulderblade. Keep a shirt on when the customer is home.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Mine are all easily covered by pants and a short sleve. I do have a military one on my leg that people usually ask alot about, its a memorial to a buddy so it's not quite the same as having skulls or flames, people always respond positively to it. But from a distance they might have a different opinion when they can't see the purpose of it. If my sleve rides up you can see the bottom of the tattoo on my bicept, people usually ask to seee the rest of it and ask what the latin writing says. I think most people are curious about them and if they don't ask they want to. Showing a little bit of it is completely different than being shirtless showing tem all off.

If I had tattooed covered employees i would be fine with it aslong as they apear to make an attempt to cover it, and if it is easily shown then I would be fine aslong as it isn't something that could be considered offensive. There is a big difference between a memorial or a cross compared to swatikaz or n ude women on his neck

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I have no issue with ink but ask yourself why? We all know most people associate it with white trash/thug /prison guy etc. I really don't but most do. My perspective is different I've got a pretty rough background so I try to exude the opposte that I'm safe and not going to hurt you.
Plus it's become a upper middleclass white suburb badge around here. All the Frat and college boys have em. There are better ways to prove something to yourself or others. First thing they do when you get locked up is photogragh all your ink that says something. I'd rather blend in more stealth.
Plus the baddest/toughest MOFO's I know have no ink.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.