1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

Tax help?

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Lamonicaslawnservice, Jan 23, 2008.

  1. Lamonicaslawnservice

    Lamonicaslawnservice LawnSite Member
    Messages: 139

    Anyone know anything about taxes? Should I claim my equipment if I bought my toro zero turn and trimmers and edgers and pretty much all my equipment in march if im going down in two days to get my license? I'm new to this so im not sure how it works? Thanks guys
  2. TSG

    TSG LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 444

    Talk to an accountant
    You need to know how to depreciate it.
    I would accelerate the depreciation and take it against
    any other ordinary income.
    You may find you get 30% of the purchase prise back.
    Also, since most lco's are not in business in 3 yrs. So
    it is better than taking depreciation annually.
    Every case is different,,,,talk to a pro

    just .02

    DLAWNS LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,780

    I would ask people that you know for the name of a good accountant. Like TSG said that is very important because everyones taxes are different.
  4. bohiaa

    bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,220

    Dont take advice like that from here..........

    I can just hear you saying, to the tax man...

    "Well this guy on the internet said that was a deduction"
  5. echeandia

    echeandia LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,131

    Accountants know a lot about taxes and how they apply to each individuals situation. It is money well spent.
  6. lawnpro724

    lawnpro724 LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,201

    My accountant advises me to do this. 1st get some kind of accounting software like Quickbooks Pro to track your business. 2nd log all business expenses into your accounting program like gas, oil, blades, belts and small equipment purchases. 3rd on large equipment purchases say over $1,000.00 and up depreciate over 3yrs or longer your accountant will do this for you. My accountant also handles my payroll bookwork once a month while I handle the week to week check writing.
  7. Lamonicaslawnservice

    Lamonicaslawnservice LawnSite Member
    Messages: 139

    Thanks for the advice everyone
  8. shade tree landscaping

    shade tree landscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 915

    Why depreciate overs three years, and not just get it back all in the first year? I am asking b/c last year was my first year in business for myself and had to make a few large pucheses
  9. Exact Rototilling

    Exact Rototilling LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 5,378

    I don't have an accountant but I do my taxes with Turbo Tax Home & Business. The one that has the Schedule C on it. There are many clues in the interview process that will answer some of your questions.

    I've also called the IRS on this very issue and the answer created more confusion than real answers. ;)
  10. TSG

    TSG LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 444

    I am a fan of accelerating depreciation. You never know when
    the tax law will change and I like playing the rules I know.
    It also depend on weather is is your only job or second job.
    If second job, accelerating may make more sense,,but talk to a good acct.
    Just .02

Share This Page