1. Can’t make it to the GIE+EXPO 2017?
    LawnSite brings the trade show floor to your fingertips with our new GIE+EXPO 2017 Sneak Peek video series debuting now in the Lawn Mowing forum.

    Dismiss Notice

tax question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by PROCARE05, Jan 1, 2006.

  1. PROCARE05

    PROCARE05 LawnSite Member
    Messages: 10

    do you take care of your own taxes or do you use a accountant ? This is my first year in the business ,I am a s-corporation. Is this the structure that most of you use ?
  2. grasswhacker

    grasswhacker LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,873

    I have always done my own, but I file as a sole proprietor.
  3. Green-Pro

    Green-Pro LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,420

    This is our first year, we are an LLC. will use the accountant.
  4. lawnboy dan

    lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member
    Messages: 3,711

    get a good tax man . its way to complicated to do it yourself.
  5. 6'7 330

    6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,821

    Find yourself a good accountant.Finding an accountant, will be among the best decisions you could make concerning your business.An accountant is more then somebody who files your taxes,he can take care payroll ,represent you if necessary before the IRS etc.A good accountant is worth his weight in gold.
  6. retrieverlawncare

    retrieverlawncare LawnSite Member
    Messages: 19

    Get a good accountant....especially since you are an S-Corp.
    I am an LLC and my accountant has saved me many times the money she charges me.....compared to if I had worked up my own returns. Plus an accountant can give you advice on certain business issues.
  7. lawnman_scott

    lawnman_scott LawnSite Fanatic
    Messages: 7,547

    Do you have a specific example of how your accountant saved you money? I just dont see the point in a small business having someone do the taxes. It just seems very basic for me to do myself.
  8. SodKing

    SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,641

    Because of the pesticides in the business we chose chapter S as well. We have a bookeeper/accountant, a tax accountant, and a business/financial advisor.
  9. Gene $immons

    Gene $immons LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,028

    Do you have employees?

    We are an LLC and use an accountant. She is very helpful in getting everything filed on time avoiding us costly penalties.

    Our last years tax return was a small novel. Not basic to me. Nor do I have the time or patience to do it myself. One small mistake can cost you big time in penalties years down the road.

    In fact, we first started out with an accountant that was not very good, he personally set us back 2 years with his inexperience. Interview your CPA just like anyone else you hire. If you want to do it yourself, go for it...But I would suggest hiring someone if your business is big and growing.

    A company tax return is completely different than some individuals basic return.
  10. turf dog

    turf dog LawnSite Member
    Messages: 108

    I am a Sub chapter S Corp for liability and tax reasons. For tax reasons as a S corp, I set myself a salary that I have to pay income tax and FICA. The rest of the money in my S corp I take out as a distribution and only have to pay income tax and no FICA. You need a accountants advice of were to set your salary to keep the irs happy.

Share This Page