taxes/insurance question

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by cuttinggrassiscool, Jan 4, 2006.

  1. cuttinggrassiscool

    cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member
    Messages: 71

    heres my situation. i started mowing lawns one i was fifteen and haven't stopped. i would like to know if their is some way to legally operate, having insurance, without having to form an llc or something similar and pay all business taxes. i am currently in college and while i enjoy the work i am not sure i will continue after college. i was wondering if i could just register my company name and then pay taxes as extra personal income. would this allow me to be insured, or am i better of forming an llc? thanks guys
  2. daveintoledo

    daveintoledo LawnSite Silver Member
    Messages: 2,587

    register you company name as a sole propriotorship, DBA... you will loose some tax advantages, but lots start out ther company that way...
  3. cuttinggrassiscool

    cuttinggrassiscool LawnSite Member
    Messages: 71

    im gonna assume that this will not allow me to have anyone helping me period, is their anyway that this can be easily remidied? i dont wont employies per say but having an occasional helper at least would be great. thanks
  4. 6'7 330

    6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,821

    Talk to a professional about taxes and payroll taxes.

    If you have in your mind having part time help more then a day or two a month,I would get a FEIN number,state tax number etc.Payroll taxes,workers comp etc, are a very serious consideration.

Share This Page