• Online Events For Landscapers!
    With GIE+EXPO cancelled, virtual education and product launches are filling up the fall. Check out dates for Caterpillar, Exmark, NALP, and more. Click here to learn more.

Taxes

LAZERLAWS

LawnSite Member
Come time to do my taxes next year I know I'm looking at paying about 35%.So if I gross 100K that 35,000 spent in just taxes,how much of that should you normally get back from right offs?

topsites

LawnSite Fanatic
You don't get anything back from write-offs, the IRS does not cut you a check for what you lost, thou the concept sure sounds good.

The only thing you can do with a loss is deduct it from your gross receipts, so it results in you not owing on what you didn't get paid. So if someone stiffs you on a $500 bill, you don't have to pay taxes on that, lol. But, you can not deduct it from what you did get paid, so if you did get paid $20,000 and you did not get paid that $500, then your total gross is still $20,000 (but not $20,500), and you pay taxes on all the money you got paid and no taxes on what you did not (kinda dumb if you ask me, but it does make sense).

I never deduct non-payments, I use my total bank deposits for my gross figure, what I did not deposit, I did not earn... In the end it's all the same: (Gross receipts - nonpays) = total deposits = gross income.

Beyond that, equipment and things have their own section and there is capital gain and loss, investment and so forth.

I recommend Turbo Tax with the $50 business extension, that's what I use, just buy the personal tax thing at the store then pay the extra $50 and download it after installing / running (or if they have the small business package at the store, that might work), even the plain personal turbo tax is good for starters, real good.