1. Free Webinar: Why the Growth of Propane Deserves Your Attention
    Date: Thursday, April 25th
    Time: 11:00am EST
    Find out how switching to propane can save your company time and money. Click here to register
    Dismiss Notice

Taxes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by neblawncare23, Feb 6, 2019.

1. neblawncare23

neblawncare23 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Neb

Is it possible to have two different accountants do your taxes for you, just to compare what each one is doing? Then decide who you want to file them for you after you compare both of them?
    It seems like the logical thing to do, so you can check to make sure your accountant is doing their job correctly.
    What's everyone's thoughts?

2. Greencuts518

Greencuts518 LawnSite Fanatic

Do you usually work for free? If so then do your own taxes.

grass4gas likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    neblawncare23

neblawncare23 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Neb

That's makes no sense!
    I would pay both for their time, just want to basically do a check to make sure stuff is getting done right.

4. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

Of course you can. I'd suggest finding one CPA that you can trust though.

Going to two different CPAs and sitting through all of that sounds like a disaster to me.

Why not ask friends and business associates for some referrals? Having a good CPA is critical. Having an ongoing relationship with ONE good one (and their firm) is also very important. They get to know you, your situation, your style, etc. It's relationship building.

kemco, Doc8406, eggy and 1 other person like this.
  5. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

Taxes are not that complicated. They can be for some but for most any program like tax act, turbo tax, etc. will walk you through everything line by line, form by form, box by box.

I’ve done our taxes for the last 5 years. Always pay for the premium version. Don’t try to cheat, just be honest and keep really good records. Takes me about 1-1/2hrs to get evrything entered/filed. Think I paid $140.

A CPA wanted a minimum of $250 for my taxes, no thanks.

weeze and AlohaMowing like this.
  6. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Different experience here - pay the money to have a CPA do the work.

7. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

As mentioned, we pay a good CPA. I also pay extra for "audit protection". Totally worth it.

Any tax questions I have during the year are just a phone call or email away. It's included with what I pay.

The IRS sent me a notice claiming I underpaid personal taxes by nearly 30k for 2016. I got the notice about 6 weeks ago. My CPA spent a good hour going over that letter with me. He then drafted a response to the IRS. I KNOW I don't owe the money but it's pretty nerve racking. Having a CPA who's a partner in the 2nd largest firm here in my corner is a massive relief.

You don't need a good CPA until you NEED a CPA. By then, you're likely to late. Chalk it up as a cost of doing business guys.

8. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I would think using a CPA means you would have less of a chance of being audited. I have not been audited knock on wood.
    I do a lot of the work and then hand it over to the accountant.
    I agree with getting referrals from friends to find a good one. I wouldn't have 2 to check on the other one. I like conservative accountants that dont create red flags for the IRS

hort101 and Doc8406 like this.
  9. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

if you think paying $250 for professional financial experience is “too expensive” how do you expect your customer to pay hundreds of dollars (nevermind thousands) for landscaping when they can just “do it themselves”

10. thom

thom LawnSite Member

How soon will you know the outcome of the claim against you??