Taxes

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by neblawncare23, Feb 6, 2019.

1. kemco

kemco LawnSite Silver Member

For an LLC or Corp starting rate around here is about $1000 for the business return and up. For a personal return that includes business when one can't short form it is about $450 to $500. Some of the best money spent all year imo.

Michael Ray likes this.
  2. Andrew H

Andrew H LawnSite Silver Member

Right on!
    we have a very reputable cpa as well, who also has other CPA’s working for her. We pay a several thousand dollars annually to them, but they do our taxes and payroll. Don’t cheap out on the important things of owing a business.

Also pay quarterly, paying once a year (at least for us) was a huge chunk of change...

hort101 likes this.
  3. Matthews Lawn Care

Matthews Lawn Care LawnSite Silver Member

If they could do it themselves, why didn’t they?

It’s not that I think CPA’s are a waste of $. I’m just not paying a CPA while I can handle it myself.

I’m just a solo guy so our taxes aren’t really complicated. If I had several crews, I’d be seeing a CPA, no question.

weeze, AlohaMowing and hort101 like this.
  4. Mark Stark

Mark Stark LawnSite Senior Member

We had like 30 days to respond or pay the money + interest. They are claiming under reported income from 2016. I had another business that I sold that year and we overlooked one of the merchant card processors when changing the EIN.

Even though the new owner (former employee who bought business) paid taxes on that money, it was REPORTED under my info and thus, looks like I didn't claim it on my return.

I THINK our evidence is pretty solid. My CPA said it will likely be "a few months" before we get the IRS reply to our letter. If they find against me, then we will appeal and provide further evidence like bank records, accounting reports, business sale paperwork, etc.

Crossing my fingers because giving my wasteful Uncle Sam an extra $30k is not a pleasant thought!

hort101 likes this.
  5. GRANTSKI

GRANTSKI LawnSite Bronze Member

Some will milk the deductions right within the limits - my cpa claims certain things on the “safe” side. So you will probably always get 2 different figures.
    I believe There’s only a few deductions that you have flexibility on how much u claim (home office / cellphone bill % for solo guys /sub-contracting/ etc) but they can raise a flag too. So it’s usually how safe your cpa & you decide to play it.

AlohaMowing likes this.
  6. snomaha

snomaha LawnSite Bronze Member
    from midwest

Have been going through a sales tax audit the last few months and just took a look at what we spent with our CPA firm last year - OUCH!

RussellB and hort101 like this.
  7. TX Easymoney

TX Easymoney LawnSite Platinum Member

...and focus on growing your business instead

Doc8406 and hort101 like this.
  8. Chamber143

Chamber143 LawnSite Member

So true. Not to mention we pay over 2000 a year for all of our tax services. Oh how I would love to pay 250. My father in law who owns a huge business told me when I started mine that there are two things that are must haves on business. A kick ass attorney and a kick ass CPA. Great words to love by

Atlantic Lawn likes this.
  9. Doc8406

Doc8406 LawnSite Fanatic

Talked to one today, believe I will use em

10. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I am very fortunate we have a super guy that has got us in good shape with all our quarterly stuff payroll and all he charges us 250 he's good we had a gal before she bout got us in trouble and I think was doing some dumb crap and charging more I dumped her like a hot Patato

Doc8406 likes this.