• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Tearing up the grass with your ZTR?

Lacy Lawn

LawnSite Member
Hi

I have a Swisher 42" ZTR mower which I baught primarily for mowing my own 1.5 Ac lawn.

I have noticed that, if I turn in areas where the grass cover is not very thick, I rip up a tire prints worth of grass.

Do you have similar problems? Can anything be done to prevent it except for turning on a larger radius?

Thanks,
Larry

BobR

LawnSite Senior Member
Welcome To Lawn Site Larry - Extensive coverage on this problem can be gotten by using the 'search' function. A quick answer would be to forget using a zero turn and go to the three point turn method, your lawn will love you.. Slowing down your ground speed (slower the better) before maneuvering will also help.

Have Fun
BobR

65hoss

LawnSite Fanatic
Its about operator error. The 3 pt turn will stop the problem. Most people think they need to just zip it around and go. I get new customers every year due to this flying around and spinning around. Customers don't like divots all in their lawns.

BobR

LawnSite Senior Member
One Man Show - 23 regular accounts, 3 are local (Galway) remainder in Amsterdam. Did you get my PM ??

BobR

OP
L

Lacy Lawn

LawnSite Member
Thanks guys.

Yes, the "search" really works.

It turns out that the 3 point was what I had had tried and didn't know it!!

BTW, I've found that if I turn at full throttle I can actually get a nice fish-tail!! Good thing its my oun yard :)