Techo Showcase 2012

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
Everyone lookin forward to it?

Everyone's lookin forward to Peter talkin down to the audience, right? :rolleyes:

Bru75

LawnSite Senior Member
Don't know yet. Got my invite yesterday.
It's a long drive for me to listen to Pete yell, gotta decide if free t-shirts, jacket that I won't wear, and a $100 coupon are worth the trade.
Last year the food stunk.

mrusk

LawnSite Gold Member
Andrew are you going? I could really careless how many countries Pete has laid pavers or women in for that matter. If he was really the paver god he proclaims he would be running the most successful paver installation company in the North East.

If paver pete laid pavers and built walls every day for the rest of his life i doubt he would be as good as I am today.

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
I'm up in the air about going this year. Not that I would be missed!

I was so disappointed with Pete's demeanor last year at the Columbia MD show that I had left there with reservations about coming back. I woke up early and drove 50 miles away for a day full of negativity!

Dec 15 at the Stone Store Tony Bass is doing a seminar. I can't go, but Tony is one of the most inspirational speakers I've seen. Very realistic and straight forward.

Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited:

TomG

LawnSite Senior Member
I went last year for the first time and I will be going again this year. Also i have heard form... a person who shall remain nameless... that the project that the showcase "follows" was way more involved this year and that it is a quite large and impressive project. And also the project involves a lot of things that they have never talked about at any showcase. We shall see...

OP
DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper

LawnSite Fanatic
.......If he was really the paver god he proclaims he would be running the most successful paver installation company in the North East.......
I'm not in agreement with that statement.

Pete is a smart man.

Even though i do not agree with the arrogance that he displayed at the MD 2011 show last Jan, I do respect his knowledge, experiences, and opinions. And yeah, some of his opinions are out of touch of reality. With all dues respect - Lets not forget Matt, that much of what you have written here carries the same persona as Pete does, you two share many similar characteristics.

Pete has seen thousands and thousands of GOOD contractors come and go. He has seen contractors with the sharpest business minds - come and go. And I'm sure he has seen a fair share of idiot contractors come and go. Heck, I've seen all that on this forum!

He's no fool. Work for a company thats pays VERY VERY well, steady paycheck, benefits, work from home, travel and meet cool people all up and down the east coast......or work as a contractor living from job to job, Dealing with the weather, and Dealing with $10 to $18 / hr employees and the crap that comes with them? I'm gonna say Pete has the last laugh, as far as all that goes :)

Having imense knowledge and passion for the industry doesn't mean contracting is the only way to go.....

Last edited:

LB1234

LawnSite Gold Member
last year i walked out b/c i could not stand his attitude. the permeable pavement in front of walmart doors saving thousands upon thousands of dollars of air conditioning with nothing to back it up just blew my mind.

went this year. Wasn't overly impressed either. although he did turn it down a lot from last year. didn't like the first two hours of marketing talk. basically he wants us to do techo's marketing campaign. other than that is wasn't awful like last year.

with all that said...the guy knows how to talk to an audience, he is good at it.

LVHardscape

LawnSite Member
Didnt know they were still going on, ours was a few weeks ago. The project is more involved than last years. And as i mentioned in another thread, the guy that installed the project was an instructor at the MAHTS show in AC, and used the project to teach the class!! haha EP had no idea until it was brought to their attention.
But back to the topic here, the standard points were still the same as far as door hangers, post cards, blah blah blah. I went to the techo pro roundtable, which i found to be more useful than the show itself. I probably wouldn't attend if i had to drive as far as some of you are saying. I only live about 1 minute from their venue, so i go for the free food, and to see my fellow contractors in the area.