1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns in the Franchising forum plus sign up to receive a FREE eBook on how to grow your landscape business.

Dismiss Notice

Tecumseh engines any good?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Nickos, Jun 17, 2008.

1. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

2. tb8100

tb8100 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from TX

LOL better put on your flame suit, buddy.

3. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

;)

lol dont worry

4. bjack312

bjack312 LawnSite Member

I have only had one Tecumseh engine, but it has been a good one. It is a 5 HP Vector, on a 21" Ariens mower. The machine is 15 years old and still running strong.

Looking at the listing, the machine looks like it is in very good condition, and $175 sounds like a pretty good deal. It's definately not built for commercial use, but you can probably get your moneys worth out of it at that price.

5. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

its just going to be used a few times for my yard most likely

i hate raking

6. greenred

greenred LawnSite Senior Member
    from IL

I have a 20 year old Tecumseh engined snowblower in my garage. It was given to me by my father this winter when he went out and bought a Cadillac of a blower with tracks and heated handle bars.

This old blower has seen some use too, I know I was behind it most often. I have seen snow so high it took me 2 to 3 passes to get one path clear.

While talking to him about it my father remarks that he has never changed the oil in it since the day he bought it - 20 years ago ;) Other then adjusting the carb it has not had a thing done to it. And that old engine runs STRONG. I'm almost afraid to do any maintenance on it this summer lol.

But then again a mechanic who's opinion I highly trust does not like Tecumseh engines at all.

7. mngrassguy

mngrassguy LawnSite Silver Member

Good luck getting parts. They went out of business.

8. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

comments on machine?

9. Nickos

Nickos LawnSite Member

toro still uses them on their new machines..

10. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I had a push mower. Hard to start, bulb got hard, wouldn't prime, carb didn't run right, not parts available for the carb. I don't like them at all but I'm sure some have had good luck. I would not recommend one