1. Ask the Expert TODAY!
    Learn how to do more with less when it comes to your fertilization services. Gather your top questions about fertilization and nutrient management and join the live Ask the Expert event hosted by Koch Turf & Ornamental TODAY at 12-2 p.m. ET in the Fertilizer Application forum .

Dismiss Notice

Tecumseh Governor broken

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by zz4guy, Apr 17, 2008.

1. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 3.5hp verticle mower that appears to have a broken governor inside the engine. It doesn't move at all even though the linkage is free, and the engine will over-rev if you go to full throttle.

Is there a way to fix this? How do you do it? Is it expensive? I've never gone inside one of these to fix a governor before.

2. jkason

jkason LawnSite Senior Member

Huh?
    It's either one or the other.

3. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

not worth fixing get a new one

4. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

What he said ^^^^^^^^^^ Just run down to Wally World and pick up a $99 special.

5. zz4guy

Yeah if it was my mower I would but I am trying to fix this one up for cheap and sell it. I bought it at an auction for $10 so would like to get it running and sell it for $45.

6. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

7. zz4guy

Thanks Restorob. You rock! I've decided not to fix it though - you're right. Going to scrap the engine and put another good one on top and sell that.