1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, in the Franchising forum.

Dismiss Notice

Tell me about Lawn Boy mowers......

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by LawnMowingNewbie, May 5, 2007.

1. LawnMowingNewbie

LawnMowingNewbie LawnSite Member
    from Ontario

Hi,
    I am starting a lawn-mowing business for the spring/summer. I have done some advertising and have a few clients lined up for next week.

My budget only allows for me to buy a consumer push-mower but this should be okay as I will only be doing at tops 25-30 cuts per week and I am only doing small-to-medium sized residential lawns.

The local Home Depot has a Lawn Boy 6.5HP rear-bagging pushmower on sale for $350.00. The reason I am looking at Lawnboy is that I have read that for the $$, it has a great mulching capability. Three of my clients only want their grassed mulched - not bagged, etc., so now I have made mulching my selling point.

I understand that buying commerical equipment is the ideal way to go; however, I simply cannot afford it right now and I am only doing this part-time.

Any helpful advice on Toro's Lawnboy line would be greatly appreciated.

My friend did 60 cuts a week with a consumer model lawn-mower, and it was not a problem.
    thanks in advance,
    LawnMowingNewbie

2. IA_James

IA_James LawnSite Silver Member
    from Iowa

Mine is POS. It's the 6.5 hp silver series commercial or something. Doesn't matter what I do to it, never runs in the spring, and having a hell of a time to get it to run decent after that.

3. bigcountry01

bigcountry01 LawnSite Member

60 cuts a week with a push mower???!!! You would think if he had that amount of business he could atleast buy a used commmercial mower. it would take forever just to mow one yard with a push mower plus trim and blow. sure would earn the money though.

4. lurch

lurch LawnSite Member

i don't know much about lawn boy mowers....

but i do know that i also use a homeowner 21"...

i use a Cub Cadet SRC-621...its a 6.75 ohv B&S engine...it has caster wheels so it turns just like a zero...i happen to love it...i used a troy-bilt before this one and i hated it...so far i've replaced the cheapo hardware all around on the cubby and its tough as nails...i sharpen the blade weekly at home and change the oil bi-weekly and the spark plug monthly...

hope this helps

5. LawnMowingNewbie

from Ontario

Just to respond to a few comments.

"60 cuts a week with a push mower???!!! You would think if he had that amount of business he could atleast buy a used commmercial mower."

Actually I don't think I stated this number - I said 25-30 cuts a week. That is not what I currently have, it is what I hope, through word-of-mouth, and flyers, to attain. I am also steering clear of big lots and focusing on smaller to medium lawns. I simply do not have money to by a commericial right now. There is no other option, that is why I am seeking advice on Lawnboy, as it is made by Toro 9whom several have suggested to me) and it is on sale!

I am also want to use a push mower to get in-shape, and have alloted 60 min. per lawn for a cut/mulch and edging. All smaller to medium lawns.

"but i do know that i also use a homeowner 21"..."

It is good to know that someone else is using a homeowner model! Thanks for your advice. Poin taken about maintenance, etc.

"Mine is POS. It's the 6.5 hp silver series commercial or something. Doesn't matter what I do to it, never runs in the spring, and having a hell of a time to get it to run decent after that."

Anyone heard this about Lawn Boy equipment? I thought they were a reliable brand.

6. snowbrdr360

snowbrdr360 LawnSite Member

Had the same problem with mine... I gave it away:hammerhead:

7. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Former Moderator

i wished you would have given it to us. 9 years in biz, and it's the only brand we've ever used (in 21 inch that is). we liked them so much that we bought 6 of them, the last the dealer had, so we could have them since the kind we use aren't being made anymore. if we see a used one that a homeowner is selling, we snag it up. they are good mowers for how we use them.

8. LawnMowingNewbie

from Ontario

"they are good mowers for how we use them."

1MajorTom - how do you use them?

9. snowbrdr360

snowbrdr360 LawnSite Member

I'll go snag it back and give it to you:cool2:

10. Tom c.

Tom c. LawnSite Member

If your doing 25-30 cuts per week say at 30-35 dollars avg thats an avg gross of 750.00 per week. Say minus your overhead : gas, and im guessing your working out of your home with no trailer and no insurance. So say your gas cost is 50.00 a week youll still gross 700.00 x 4 weeks =2800. Why not buy a 36in. W/B and a small trailer? You can buy a decent commercial mower for 2-3k For a little down and a small monthly payment. I pay 88.00 a mth for a bobcat for 24 mths on a 0% loan. With the larger mower youll work Quicker and it will last you a heck of a lot longer that that lawnjockey will. Thats just my line of thought. Run the numbers and think about it GOOD LUCK:usflag: