Tell me if I’m crazy

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by arl250, Apr 23, 2019.

1. arl250

arl250 LawnSite Bronze Member

So for years everyone has said Stand on mowers are the way to go in my area. I always just blew that comment off. We run 61 inch turf tigers currently and with all the rain we’ve had these heavy mowers have been pretty rough on the turf. So I decided to demo a toro grandstand but it’s only a 52inch. I kinda hated to even take it out because I was scared it would slow us down. But man let me tell you. I haven’t actually timed it but I’m pretty sure I can cover yards just as fast or faster with it than my turf tigers. I think it’s simply the fact it turns around so much faster and can fit around everything in the lawn so much better. But is it just me or does everyone seem to think this?

2. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

to me turning on a stander is slower. i guess it's what you get used to. on a sit down your hands never leave the levers but on a stander you have to swap from pushing with your thumbs to pulling back with your fingers and back and forth like that when making turns. to me it made turns slower when i tried one out.

Cam15 likes this.
  3. OP
    OP
    arl250

I used to think just like what you said here . However on the sit down I have to do a three point turn and still may tear the grass. This stand on I can have one tire go forward and the other go backwards and really make a zero turn with no turf damage. I can be back half way down a stripe before the sit down has turned around

Cam15 likes this.
  4. hackitdown

hackitdown LawnSite Silver Member

I have had Exmark ZTRs and Scag standers. The standers are way faster. Also less expensive. Lighter weight. Smaller on the trailer.

But they are not as good at bagging.

Cam15 likes this.
  5. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Fanatic

My last vride bagged as good as any turf tiger with a bagger system.

sjessen and Doc8406 like this.
  6. OP
    OP
    arl250

I use mainly my walker to bag but if I did make the switch to stand on I’d probably keep one sit down for leaf removal in the fall

hort101 likes this.
  7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

it depends on how you do your turns. i do semi-3 point turns. they are much faster than a full 3 point turn. it's hard to explain.

i thought you had to do 3 point turns with standers too.

i know on a residential ztr you can do zero turns without any damage. maybe it's because of the smaller tires or becuase they weigh half as much. i'm not sure.

kemco likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    arl250

Kinda hard for me to explain how I been doing turns on this grandstand. But all I know is it’s faster than what I’ve been doing on a sit down for that last 15 years lol

Cam15 likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    arl250

And my back doesn’t hurt at all at the end of the day

Cam15 likes this.
  10. Turf Tracer

Turf Tracer LawnSite Platinum Member

All Standers in the biggest dealers showrooms this year. Sit down ZTR’s relegated to homeowners and farmers on the outskirts here