Lawn Care Forum banner

Tell us about your new truck!!!

4K views 17 replies 15 participants last post by  meador56 
#1 ·
Have you bought a new truck with in the past 2 years?

If so tell us about it!

What do you like? What do you dislike? What would you have changed if you had to go through the process again?

Also if you can, post some pics!

Thank you,

Fast Freddie

#2 ·
PS: The reason I ask is because I am looking to buy a new 3/4 to 1 ton truck and I am having the hardest time deciding between a Ford & Chevy. In either case, I am looking for a Reg Cab/8ft bed with 4x4.

I will use the truck to haul my landscaping equipment during the spring/summer/fall and plow with it in the winter. Please help me make a decision!

#5 ·
I bought a certified used 2007 Chevy 2500HD a little over a year ago. I love it, its comfortable to ride in on trips and tows nicely too (has the 6.0 vortec in it). I got a well equipt LT model, only doesn't have heated seats, leather and a
sun roof. The best advise I can give you is just to test drive several trucks and see what you like best. Its all opinion reallh, I'm just a chevy guy.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 · (Edited)
If you want a better resale value go Ford over Chevy. Chevy is one on the worst brand from recent search. A lot of problems, bad resale value, rust problems. I prefer Chevy's look but Ford is a wiser choice.

Four GM-made vehicles--the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, Chevrolet Colorado, and Chevrolet Aveo/Aveo5--are ranked as among the worst on the market today.

The only American car company with zero vehicles on the list? Ford.

http://www.forbes.com/2011/04/13/mercedes-gm-chrysler-nissan-business-autos-worst-cars.html

http://www.forbes.com/2011/04/13/mercedes-gm-chrysler-nissan-business-autos-worst-cars_slide.html

#7 ·
2011 GMC 2500HD Reg Cab Long Bed 4x4 6.0 Vortec SLE. Mine has snowplow prep and the trailering suspension so it is set up as heavy as you can get a 2500. Mine tows and hauls great. It pulls my loaded 10k dump trailer without any problems. I barely notice that its there when empty or when I tow my mowing trailer (3K). I have had a pallet of ice melt (approx 2k) in the bed and the truck barely sagged.

The ride is actually better than I expected. I thought it would be stiffer. Its quite comfortable with the SLE package. I have taken a few long trips in it and was more comfortable than in my old F150.

I got mine in July and have about 7500 miles on it now. Im very happy with it.

#9 ·
i bought a 2006 f250 4x4 diesel and it was nice and pretty, now after 2 years of work it has turned into a dirty work truck again. If i could go back i would buy a low mileage mid 90's f250 with a gas engine and spend the extra $10,000 on something else.

#10 ·
I bought a 2010 Ford f.250 with the 6.8 v10 engine in it last summer. I can say the only thing I dislike would be gas mileage but its a truck, not much you can do. I would suggest the v10 over the v8 any day. A guy I know has the same truck with the v8 and we get the same mpg. He gets 9.6, I get 9.1. I just reached 13,000 miles so its still pretty new, but I can say I haven't heard anything bad about the v10. I got hooked up with a pretty good sales man. I did buy the truck at the dealers end of the year sales event. Which if your dealers do that I would wait. The selection isn't the greatest, but the money off is great. I wouldn't have a problem doing it all over again.

#12 ·
This past June I bought a brand new 2011 Chevy Silverado LT 5.3 Vortec, crew cab, Z71 4x4 with all the bells and wistles(except leather! I hate leater seats!) I LOVE this truck it has tons of power and very roomy with the crew cab. I personally don't mind having the short bed because it holds all my handhelds and a tool box which is all I need it for. I to this from a beautiful 1998 Silverado extended cab RWD 6.5ft bed which was a great truck but it was time for me to upgrade! I was going to get the 2011 2500HD extended cab but I don't need that large of a truck and the gas mileage was much worse than the 1500 I bought. All around I am very happy...this happens to be my dream truck since I was 15 years old...now 20! Good luck with whatever truck you choose!

#13 ·
If you want a better resale value go Ford over Chevy. Chevy is one on the worst brand from recent search. A lot of problems, bad resale value, rust problems. I prefer Chevy's look but Ford is a wiser choice.

Four GM-made vehicles--the Cadillac Escalade, Chevy Tahoe Hybrid, Chevrolet Colorado, and Chevrolet Aveo/Aveo5--are ranked as among the worst on the market today.

The only American car company with zero vehicles on the list? Ford.

http://www.forbes.com/2011/04/13/mercedes-gm-chrysler-nissan-business-autos-worst-cars.html

http://www.forbes.com/2011/04/13/mercedes-gm-chrysler-nissan-business-autos-worst-cars_slide.html
Forbes opinions are tainted. The Escalade is bad because it depreciates too much, but more people steal Escalades than anything else. The Taho Hybrid is on the list because the Hybrid option costs more than you can make up in gas costs. And the colorado and Aveo and foreign junk that I don't care about.

From what I have heard and read...Ford had made the biggest improvements in quality a couple of years ago, but the quality has subsided. Ford Trucks had plenty of transmission problems. Ford made a bunch of 6.0 diesels that were very problematic, and the latest Ford diesel has 5 more hp than a GM Duramax, but the Duramax walks away from the Ford, and had better braking, and transmission braking faster ans more stable towing 11,000 lbs up and down an 11 mile grade.(Truck Trend Magazine)

You will find more Chevy trucks still on the road at every age level.
Ford sells more trucks. They are cheaper, so fleet buyers think a few hundred dollars saving is a lot of money esecially when they buy lots of trucks. Good old country boys grew up with Fords, there was one parked beside each trailer in the trailer park, so that's what they buy :)

I've had 8 GM trucks in my life (1978 to 2004). Some of the old 6.5 Diesels had some problems. I still loved them. I've had 2 Fords (1978 & 1986) and I hated them with a passion, and the dealer and Ford for not standing behind them over some design flaws.

#16 ·
2011 Dodge 2500 diesel quad cab 6 spd manual. Bought it in Oct. 4000 miles and no problems yet. Gets about 11 to 13 towing around town according to the weight. Had the skid steer and Jd 65 hp tractor with blade on a 32' gn for appx 200 miles. 9 mpg on that trip. Havent driven it empty enough to check empty miles.
Posted via Mobile Device

#18 ·
I have a '11 Chevy 2500HD x-cab 6.0 LT1 had a $39105 sticker. Traded in an 01 GMC 2500HD with 170k bought it new 1st HD in town has been a good truck but later models were better. Old truck 8-13 mpg new truck 7.5-14.75 depending on weight and speed normal 10k trailer and no trailer 10-10.5. Couldn't be happier with this unit already have 6700 miles on it. This truck tows great has 9500gvw and 3.73 gears. I have 2000 GMC with 7.4 5 spd and this newtruck will out pull it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.