Tenacity has been a disappointment for crabgrass

mooch91

LawnSite Member
My first disappointment is that I switched to Barricade for many of my pre-emergent this year instead of Dimension. Long story, but the result of moving to a new area.

With the Barricade, I've had a lot more crabgrass breakthrough than I have in the past. I had always hung on to a bottle of Tenacity in case this happened.

I've been spot spraying the crab with Tenacity with little success.

First issue is Tenacity works slow - like 1-2 weeks to see any phytotoxicity (whitening) and 2-3 weeks to see real wilting.

I think the biggest factor affecting the success, however, is mowing. I test sprayed in some areas that get mowed every 3-4 weeks and there is good whitening and some dieback of the crab. I sprayed some areas that get mowed weekly and I can't make a dent. I'm following label directions and not applying until like the 2nd or 3rd day after a mow, and then not mowing for 3-4 days more. In these areas I'm not even seeing any whitening after a few weeks.

I've mixed with NIS per the label and am applying semi-spot using a calibrated backpack.

Any ideas?

As an aside, the Tenacity destroyed the bentgrass and nimblewill in two short applications.

jc1

LawnSite Silver Member
No problem with tenacity here.
Are you following up with a second app in 2-3 weeks?
And why use tenacity for crabgrass when quinclorac works fine?

jbturf

LawnSite Bronze Member
Its been working great for me on crab also. Are u sure ur targeting crabgrass?
What rate and spray volume are u using?

I usually tank mix it with 3 way or dismiss depending on what im targeting
Posted via Mobile Device

FdLLawnMan

LawnSite Bronze Member
What was interesting to me was you say you had better luck with Dimension than with Barricade. That is the exact opposite of what I have experienced. I also used Tenacity 2 years ago and it worked fine, but I am with the rest, Quinclorac works great.

DA Quality Lawn & YS

LawnSite Fanatic
I too have had better luck with Barricade than Dimension, doing one spring app.

Also, with respect to treating crabgrass, if a post emergent doesn't kill the stuff on the first app, then I have no interest in that particular product.

ron mexico75

LawnSite Silver Member
My first disappointment is that I switched to Barricade for many of my pre-emergent this year instead of Dimension. Long story, but the result of moving to a new area.

With the Barricade, I've had a lot more crabgrass breakthrough than I have in the past. I had always hung on to a bottle of Tenacity in case this happened.

First issue is Tenacity works slow - like 1-2 weeks to see any phytotoxicity (whitening) and 2-3 weeks to see real wilting.

I think the biggest factor affecting the success, however, is mowing. I test sprayed in some areas that get mowed every 3-4 weeks and there is good whitening and some dieback of the crab. I sprayed some areas that get mowed weekly and I can't make a dent. I'm following label directions and not applying until like the 2nd or 3rd day after a mow, and then not mowing for 3-4 days more. In these areas I'm not even seeing any whitening after a few weeks.

I've mixed with NIS per the label and am applying semi-spot using a calibrated backpack.

Any ideas?

As an aside, the Tenacity destroyed the bentgrass and nimblewill in two short applications.

I'm in the process of killing of bent in fescue. I'd like to ask how long did you wait in between apps? How long before you really noticed the bent starting to turn color?

inzane

LawnSite Silver Member
I'm curious as to what rate you used of barricade, and how many applications? I've had pretty decent results with it for my spring pre-emergent the past few years. Just a little bit of breakthrough of crabgrass here lately, not really much. I feel like barricade doesn't do as good on some of the broadleaf weeds, i'm seeing some spurge break through. I am considering using dimension next year, but i hear of poor results on crab with dimension, wondering what your rates are with that?

I've never used tenacity, but now and again i'll use celsius at full rate w/ MSO. But, drive seems like a much faster and cheaper option. I just haven't had to spray much crab this year thank god. lol.

Any ideas?

Top Forums