Tenacity vs. Tupersan (Siduron)

Myrick Willard

LawnSite Member
To prevent weeds when Seeding or Overseeding, I have read of people using Tenacity... and I have read others using Tupersan (Siduron).

To my understanding, the Tenacity is a Liquid whereas the Tupersan (Siduron) is Granular... correct?

I read somewhere that you can get Starter Fertilizer WITH Tupersan (Siduron) in it... where can you find it? Does LESCO have it... like at JohnDeereLandscapes/Site One? And can you get just the Granular Tupersan (Siduron) WITHOUT the Starter Fertilizer?

And if you all are Seeding or Overseeding... what reasons would you choose one over the other as far as Tenacity and Tupersan (Siduron)?

I guess I'm just unsure of the main differences and advantages between the two? I've never understood it.

Thanks!

Hissing Cobra

LawnSite Senior Member
Tupersan and Siduron are the same product. In fact, the active ingredient in Tupersan is Siduron. If Hydroseeding, it comes in a Powder formula (without starter fertilizer) that can be mixed into the hydroseed mix along with the mulch, seed and starter fertilizer. If it's a non-hydroseed job, you can buy it in granular form that's mixed with starter fertilizer.

The Anderson's company makes this in granular form (50 lb. bag) and it's mixed with a 12-24-12 Starter Fertilizer. The starter fertilizer will work to grow your seed for approximately 30 days and the Siduron will work to control crabgrass and weeds, also for 30 days (prior to their germination). If they've already germinated, it will not work well. It will cover 15,000 sq. ft. on a light application but I recommend 10,000 sq. ft. to get more active ingredient per sq. ft., and better results.

Lebanon also makes this product in 25 lb. bags and it too, is mixed with starter fertilizer. Their mixture is a 12-24-11 Starter Fertilizer + Tupersan. It's recommended for 5,000 sq. ft. per bag.

I've never seen the Tupersan/Siduron in granular form by itself without starter fertilizer but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

These products really work if you:

A. Do TWO full applications, one on the day of seeding and the second approximately 30 days later (at the 60 day mark you can apply a conventional crabgrass pre-emergent control such as 19-0-6 Dimension - if the new seed has been mowed twice).

B. Apply them PRIOR to crabgrass/weed germination

C. Water new seeded lawns regularly to encourage growth of both the roots and the blades.

The major problem with these products is the cost. It's very expensive and common for the 25 lb. bag to go for $65.00+ and the 50 lb. bag to go for $130.00+. However, they do work excellent if you follow the guidelines I've posted above.

You should be able to buy them at any company that sells fertilizer products for Turf use. SiteOne (formerly John Deere Landscapes/Lesco) does sell all three versions.

Last edited:
OP
M

Myrick Willard

LawnSite Member
Hissing Cobra,

I'm in North Carolina, and I called 4 different SiteOne's (formerly John Deere Landscapes) in surrounding cities and none of them had any idea what I was talking about except for 1 of them, but even he didn't know if they have it or could actually get it... very confusing, lol.

Do you still work for them, if so, do you have any item numbers for both products you mentioned above (or product name/numbers, etc.) that I could give them so that they can type it into their computer to try to look both up for me?

I'm want to check with them on both products you mentioned above... the Anderson's 12-24-12 Starter Fertilizer + Siduron (50lbs bag) and the Lebanon 12-24-11 Starter Fertilizer + Tupersan (25lbs bag).
You mentioned Site One sells all 3 versions, what was the 3rd version...or maybe I just misread what you were saying?

I read somewhere, but I don't remember where, that a person CAN buy just the Tupersan (Siduron) in Granular form WITHOUT the Starter Fertilizer... but I don't know where to find that or what the cost was?

Thanks!

Hissing Cobra

LawnSite Senior Member
Myrick,

Yes, I still work for them (10.5 years so far) and yes, they do sell all 3 versions. The other version that I mentioned is the powdered form of Tupersan. This is the version that Hydroseed companies will pour into their hydroseed mix. It comes in a 4 lb. bag and you cannot apply it with anything other than a hydroseeder. I suppose you could mix it into a backpack but with a powder product, It could be messy and you'd need to make multiple mixes. The granular form by itself, I've never heard of it and have only heard of it being mixed with starter fertilizer.

I don't have the item numbers off the top of my head but any of the SiteOne locations can find them in their computers, simply by typing in the product names such as Tupersan or Siduron. I'll be at work tomorrow and if I can find the time to refer back to this thread, I'll post back with the item numbers.

I hope this helps.

Hissing Cobra

LawnSite Senior Member
As for Tenacity, I forgot to mention that SiteOne carries that as well. I believe the cost is around $75.00 for an 8oz. bottle and it mixed properly, will cover an acre. It works best if there's two applications done as well.

Both Tenacity and Tupersan/Siduron are expensive products but when used correctly, you'll get great results from them.

OP
M

Myrick Willard

LawnSite Member
I don't have the item numbers off the top of my head but any of the SiteOne locations can find them in their computers, simply by typing in the product names such as Tupersan or Siduron. I'll be at work tomorrow and if I can find the time to refer back to this thread, I'll post back with the item numbers.

Hissing,

That's what I'm confused about, lol... I gave all 4 locations the names of Tupersan and Siduron and they still acted like they knew nothing about them.

But yeah if you can post back with those item numbers, I would greatly appreciate it!

Thanks!

foreplease

LawnSite Silver Member
I've sprayed Tupersan on a new seeding and had great results but it is getting more difficult to find. I get the same blank stares others described whether at JDL/SiteOne or anywhere else. Tenacity offers more in that it takes care of anything that has germinated too. Hissing's explanation was very good. In the north, 5 oz/acre Tenacity is as high as you want to go. Might need 2 applications 2-4 weeks apart.

Hissing Cobra

LawnSite Senior Member
I've got the item numbers for these products and you should be able to get them from any SiteOne location nationwide. I hope this helps.

7193216 - Tupersan 50W (4 lb. bag) - used by Hydroseeders
2141627 - 12-24-11 Tupersan (25 lb. Bag) - Granular product for use in a spreader
069449 - 12-24-12 + Siduron (50 lb. bag) - Granular product for use in a spreader

Top Forums