Tenting a truck bed with a tent for leaf debris

JawT

LawnSite Member
Instead of building up a truck's bed sides with plywood, etc, how about using this? Check out this link to a truck bed tent (camping tent)...

www.amazon.com-bed-tent-link

Our truck for this purpose already has bed rails with green touch racks for trimmers, fuel, etc. I want to avoid adding any more permanent or semi-permanent hardware/boards to the walls. Trucks are most useful to me when they aren't boxed in permanently, I think.

A tent like this would allow us to change a truck from leaf cleanup to mowing in less than 5 mins, so it could easily do both jobs in the same day. But I see how unloading it may be a challenge (turn the leaf loader and just vacuum it out, I guess?). And it would need to be tied or bungee-ed down well due to wind.

On the plus side, it would keep debris from blowing out of the truck bed. All you need to do is zip up the tent door(s).

Let me know what you all think! Thanks!

Crazy 4 grass

LawnSite Fanatic
I'd be more inclined to install something like they have on roll off dumpster trucks. Keeps things in while driving bimut is completely out of the way the rest of the time.

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
Our truck for this purpose already has bed rails with green touch racks
How about a photo of your current setup? There are a couple local nurseries that deliver products to the box stores using pickup trucks with soft enclosures; if I see what you have I might have an idea how their system might be implemented on your truck.
On the plus side, it would keep debris from blowing out of the truck bed.
That certainly would be a benefit since it is possible, if not likely, that local laws require loads to be covered to prevent debris from blowing out.

OP
J

JawT

LawnSite Member
How about a photo of your current setup? There are a couple local nurseries that deliver products to the box stores using pickup trucks with soft enclosures; if I see what you have I might have an idea how their system might be implemented on your truck.

That certainly would be a benefit since it is possible, if not likely, that local laws require loads to be covered to prevent debris from blowing out.
Yes wil send some pics tomorrow. Thanks in advance for any tips!

OP
J

JawT

LawnSite Member
I think its a bad idea.
1 its not designed be used while rolling down the road.
2 set up and take down will take significantly longer than 5 minutes.
3 Material is not designed to take abrasions. I suspect the material will fall apart in short order.
Yes I'm with you on all of that. I don't think the tent seams would last very long to be honest. It would look silly too. I left that out of course. But that's the least of my worries really.

OP
J

JawT

LawnSite Member
Yes I'm with you on all of that. I don't think the tent seams would last very long to be honest. It would look silly too. I left that out of course. But that's the least of my worries really.
Ok what about a Waste Management “bagster” or two in the back of a truck bed? They’re about as tall as the bed sides, and super strong.
This thing, the WM Bagster (click here)

Or if you had a mesh tarp big enough, you could sew or velcro it together into a cocoon or burrito kind of shape, closing up the end that would be near the truck’s cab. Blow everything into that and just yank it out and shake the contents out when the day is done. Maybe set the bagster inside of it. At the dump when the bagster gets dragged out, most of the material will go with it I bet.

Or better yet… Put an extension on the debris loader outflow, then pipe it straight into one of these:
Leaf bag for Riding Lawn Tractor
They’re made of breathable material, intended for having stuff blown into them from a lawn tractor blower and chute.

Each of those can hold somewhere between 3.5-4.5 cu yds of material. Just one of those, blown good and full of leaf mess, would rival what you can fit in a truck bed with high sides.

When each one is full, you cinch it shut with the built in rope and hook up another to the outflow pipe.

Put a big ol’ zipper down the side of each bag. So at the dump you pull/slide them out of the truck bed (probably over a smooth tarp overhanging the open tailgate, unzip them, and give them a few kicks to help the debris fall out.
Badda-bing.
Wash them in the washing machine if they get a little nasty.
I’m going to try this, and if it works I’ll post some photos. If it fails, I’ll try to post photos of the fail, too.

AlohaMowing

LawnSite Senior Member
If you are thinking about that "bagster" consider a bulk bag. I have bought several of these: www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HK2TK9D/. The total capacity is a bit less than what you linked, but the dimensions might work better, and could be easier to drag and dump. They are available in various sizes including some that have flaps to go over the tops.

For your idea of a "mesh tarp" think of shade cloth, likely available from a nursery supply place.

Last edited:

jonniesmooth

LawnSite Senior Member
Version 1

Version 2

Version 3
https://www.instagram.com/p/B--5KBRJQkB/?utm_medium=copy_link

Mesh is messy,all the dust blows right through.
Wood is heavy,and hard to take on and off.
The pvc pipe frame is a good idea.
You could just tarp over that.
Your tent idea won't hold up to driving around town, I don't think.
You would need some 1x furling strips to put over the tent on the bed rail to anchor it.
Interested to see what you come up with.

Top Forums