• Thankful For Your Family…. Business?
    Landscaping businesses are often family endeavors. While this can combine the best of both worlds (personal and professional), it isn’t always smooth sailing. Click here to read more.

Terracing a sandy hill

Doster's L & L

LawnSite Senior Member
I got a call to make a back yard look beter and wanted a recommendation on what could be done. She has a hill with a 35-40 degree angle. Now there are plants that are "mulched" with concrete. :confused: Of course the concrete is for holding the soil in place and prevent erosion. The measurements are: Base 175', Highest Point 9', Avg height 6'
The kicker is, the hill is very sandy! After i start digging into the side, will the sand fall in? Will i need an engineer to look at it before i do anything? Building pemit? How deep of a foundation should i dig since this is sand? Usually i use #9 limestone about 4" deep and tamp it, but i think i'm gonna have to dig a 6-8" foundation and pour concrete with rebar for this particular wall.

aries

LawnSite Senior Member
What type of retaining system will u be using and if the soil is that unstable I would get an engineer involved sounds like u have alot of hieght also check your local codes for terrace spacing!

Always protect yourself !!!

Joe

OP
D

Doster's L & L

LawnSite Senior Member
I have only built one retaining wall, so i only know about one type of retaining wall stone. It's a 12"widex4"highx6"deep stone that i got at Lowes. I would, however, like to upsell them and use a more professional type stone at a reputable nursery.

Do you think that the 12"x4"x6" stone would be too light for this job anyway? Any help would be appreciated!!