1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Catch up on the conversation about fertilization strategies for success with the experts at Koch Turf & Ornamental in the Fertilizer Application forum.

Dismiss Notice

Test, green turf paint on lawn going dormant for winter.

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Mr Efficiency, Dec 5, 2017.

1. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency LawnSite Senior Member

I had 2 gallons of mixed up of green turf paint in one pump Sprayer I had to use up so it didn't freeze. I panted a small section of my lawn. Looks Great.:)
    I may just do the entire thing. Will see first if it holds it's color in a week.
    I should of painted a Christmas tree in the middle and laid lights out lining it.
    IMG_20171205_135800618_HDR.jpg IMG_20171205_135747595_HDR.jpg

2. KerbDMK

KerbDMK LawnSite Senior Member

Turf paint is usually applied to damaged or dormant turf, but I’m curious if painting healthy turf can put some stress on it? Is it important to avoid application to healthy turf? Have you ever noticed any damage or stress to healthy turf that you have painted?

I’ve used marking paint many times, and the grass just seems to grow it out without any noticeable damage, but I wonder if repetitious painting would start to cause some problems.

I remember from my Varsity football days that the lines would seem to get “burned in” during the course of a season.

Mr Efficiency and hort101 like this.
  3. ETM

ETM LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Georgia

Looks awesome

Mr Efficiency likes this.
  4. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

What brand of turf paint do you use?

5. Mr Efficiency

I use the turf paint during the growing season and have never noticed damage before. Normally we spot spray spots that had some sort of damage that are noticable and stick out and apply some seed seed first.

This is first time I have ever applied the turf paint to turf just about dormant.

It was mixed at Max rate as I recall month's ago and has been sitting in the pump Sprayer since then and didn't freeze yet. It did not get all clumpy and I was able to spray the almost 1 1/2 gallons without the nozzle clogging up.

KerbDMK likes this.
  6. Mr Efficiency

Lesco. IMG_20171205_182113002.jpg IMG_20171205_182126666.jpg

KerbDMK likes this.
  7. Mr Efficiency

It was damp today when I sprayed it but I think it did dry in short window then sidewalks became dry. It has been raining for last hour and just looked at it, seems to of held onto the grass blades. Just looked with a flash light, was my concern spraying it today, damp and would not dry.

8. kawasaki guy

kawasaki guy LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from USA

What rate was that? And what nozzle do you use?

9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

How much per gallon of water? 5- 8oz. or more? Just use fan tip?

10. Mr Efficiency

As I recall 12-15 oz/ gallon for spot spraying, cone nozzle on 2 gallon pump Sprayer.