Texas license??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ofishil, Mar 9, 2005.

  1. ofishil

    ofishil LawnSite Member
    from TX
    Messages: 123

    I used the search function and read a bunch. I just want to make sure i am correct. in texas you only have to have a DBA and a license for applying weed and feed, roundup, ect... But not a license for straight fertilizer? Is there any other licenses i am missing? Do you have to have one for doing landscaping? I know in my county i have to have a special license for going to the dump if i go excessively. thanks...
  2. Lawn Wolf

    Lawn Wolf LawnSite Member
    from 77090
    Messages: 116

    Hi. I'm in Houston and I just got my DBA isn't this consider a lawncare license already, if not where do I get the seperate license. The one you got for fertilizing did you get it at the same place as your DBA. I would appreciate the info , where abouts are you in Texas btw.
  3. Texas Mowem

    Texas Mowem LawnSite Member
    from Texas
    Messages: 59


    1. Fert = No
    2. Landscaping = No
    3. Pesticides = Yes

    If you are SOLO you don't have to collect sales tax.
    If you have an employee you have to collect sales tax.
  4. marko

    marko LawnSite Senior Member
    Messages: 963

    Post this question in the fertilizer forum. You will have a better chance of it being answered there.

    TX Department of Agriculture
    Pesticide Division
    PO BOX 12847
    Austin, TX 78711

    Go to the sticky at the top of the pesticide forum. It will give you a link to the website. There are 2 ways to get a license in Texas. At least one of them requires a sucsessful training period of 1 think one year.

    As far as Texas goes. You must collect sales tax. here is the exerpt from the web page:
    Landscaping and Lawn Care Services
    May 2003

    If you do landscaping or lawn or plant care, you should be collecting sales and use taxes. Landscaping and lawn and plant care services include any work you do to maintain or improve lawns, yards and ornamental plants and trees.

    Collecting Tax
    You should collect state tax, plus any local tax (city, county, special purpose district or transit) on the total charge for these services.

    Here are some examples that should help you decide which of your services are taxable. Of course, these examples don't cover every situation. If you have a question, call us.

    Taxable Services

    Planting, transplanting, relocating and removing indoor or outdoor plants
    Identifying, preventing or curing plant diseases
    Pruning, bracing, spraying, fertilizing and watering plants
    Planting, mowing, trimming and edging grass or other ground cover
    Planting and maintaining flower gardens
    Trimming, spraying, and maintaining trees

    Nontaxable Services

    Mowing pipeline or highway rights-of-way
    Trimming trees away from power lines
    Harvesting, cultivating, mowing and fertilizing farm or forest land
    Mowing cemeteries

    You should separately state charges for nontaxable services from charges for taxable services. Otherwise, your total charge will be presumed taxable if the taxable portion is greater than 5 percent. You or your customer may overcome the presumption through documentary evidence that establishes the percentage related to nontaxable services. Your invoices or contracts should clearly identify the services you perform.

    and the website:
  5. Mo Green

    Mo Green LawnSite Bronze Member
    Messages: 1,487

    When in doubt, contact the state that you live in.

Share This Page