Text first.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zlandman, May 14, 2019.

1. zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

This guy. I finish a 45 minute cut on his rural yard. I'm zooming out of there and see him standing in the driveway staring me down. I go say hi. He scowls saying "you didn't text first " and he's obviously very angry. I apologized and explained I forgot.

They want to know beforehand so they can pick up sticks which I greatly appreciate. I offered that I'm cutting every 6 to 7 days currently so that could help them know when I'll be there. It's a 18 year customer ant the texting just started last year. Its seems a huge hassle for me with everything else going on.

What do you think? Do any of you spend 15 minutes at the end of the day texting your next days customers?

2. TomH&H

TomH&H LawnSite Member
    Male, from Coopersburg, PA

Nope. I have one lady who wanted to keep it cheap, so she only wanted every other week. Then she kept calling me saying to move it up to whenever it needs it, just call her and let her know when I am coming. I told her she chooses every 7 or 14 days, that's it. No call, no text. If she doesn't like it she can call someone else. But I haven't had her 18 years so it might be a little different.

Cam15 and zlandman like this.
  3. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Senior Member

Yes I have a couple of widows that I mow for and they always like to know ahead of time when I'm coming but those are the only 2.

zlandman likes this.
  4. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

I text probably 65% of customers to let them know we'll be there tomorrow...sometime. It comes in handy when they forget about you coming and they're having someone else working in the lawn, yard sale, whatever...

I very rarely text I'm on my way texts except to brand spanking new customers to make sure they're home

5. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Senior Member

For some they pay me monthly so it doesn't matter when I come, the ones who normally care are the ones that pay each time.

zlandman and 13Razorbackfan like this.
  6. Koehn's Lawn Service

Koehn's Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

No I do not have time and at my age I would forget it just wouldn't work for me

7. 13Razorbackfan

See...that's just it...do what works for you. What I prefer and what someone else prefers may be totally different but get the same result.

sjessen, TrainingWheels and zlandman like this.
  8. JMK26

JMK26 LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Missouri

only one for the gate to be unlocked.

She's on Tuesdays....tuesday morning she texts me "Today?"

ANd i text back a thumbs up or say "nope, rain". takes a few seconds.

I don't make it a practice for everyone though.

9. flybynite

flybynite LawnSite Senior Member

I text the majority of my customers. Like JMK said, it only takes a few seconds to send it. It way better then talking for 10 minutes.

10. 13Razorbackfan

That's so true. I hate getting to my truck and have a few new voice mails instead of just a simple text.

hort101 likes this.