Text first.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by zlandman, May 14, 2019.

1. Valk

Valk LawnSite Gold Member

Texting is a dang convenient way of communicating w/o dealing w/ all the typical pleasantries => Hi, how are you...well, need to let you go...etc...
    Just a simple burst of info that the receiver can read/reply-to at their convenience. LOVE texting.

2. TPendagast

TPendagast LawnSite Fanatic
    Male

No
    That’s crap
    Everyone thinks they’re the only customer
    Does the mail man text first?
    Does the UPS guy?
    How about the power and gas meter reader guy?
    No?
    How about that... can’t imagine why they wouldn’t text first.....

3. rippinryno

rippinryno LawnSite Bronze Member

Part of my cost to mow includes the texting or phone call/communication time that is spent. I will text some, but honestly i only text 10% or so.

wierd, because I get notices for all of those. I love it when your'e flagrant and rude, but yet terrible off course. text is handy, easy, and if they want it, i'll do it, as i said before it's included in my price.

Amazon, UPS, and USPS, not only email me but i use text alerts to know when they are out for delivery.

They don't travel to properties anymore around here for gas or water, it's all mobile.

13Razorbackfan and Hawkshot99 like this.
  4. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

It’s a customer service business. If a customer wants to be notified 24 hours, or so, in advance, I think it’s a good idea to comply with their request.

If you have a few each day, it’s an easy copy & paste.

AlohaMowing, zlandman and hort101 like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

I can understand texting to communicate important information.

Telling someone I'm coming to mow when they're already expecting me seems redundant. I think this is more about the person being lonely, recently retired. Part lawncare part social work.

6. GreenscapeCT

GreenscapeCT LawnSite Member

Customers, like business owners/LCO’s, are not all alike.

If your business model is to not do something, then that’s your model. There’s no problem with that.

If a customer asks me to do something, I run through a quick checklist in my mind.

Will the work continue to be profitable?

Will I potentially lose the customer, to a competitor, if I do not comply?

Do I want to keep the customer?

A few people like to know when you are coming, so they can perform some task (like hide the drug paraphernalia on their patio).

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  7. weeze

weeze LawnSite Fanatic

i text several of them that aren't at home when i mow so they can remember to leave a check.

i have to pick up sticks myself. you are lucky to have such a good customer that does it for you.

Last edited: May 15, 2019
  8. 13Razorbackfan

13Razorbackfan LawnSite Silver Member

Don't forget about people who leave $ or need to unlock gates.

zlandman, Cam15 and hort101 like this.
  9. Cam15

Cam15 LawnSite Bronze Member

I have one lady that always wants me to text first but she never gets the text, so when we start mowing she's always complaining to me about me not texting first!

weeze and zlandman like this.
  10. OP
    OP
    zlandman

zlandman LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

Sure Amazon UPS can send messages via a computer automated system. And they can hire employees that oversee only that part of the operatio full time.
    I am but one man. My time is finite. My mental focus split in yet another direction. This is where the problem lay. This time of year literally I leave home at 630am and return at 9pm to sit at the desk a bit before bedtime. Sure. I find some free time to goof off on lawnsite :dancing: but do I really want to sit and think about... hmm who am I supposed to text and about what and before when.